campjon.pl pictures and problems

  • wwbaginski
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2003
      Hi, all-

      I've got some photos, made this summer , showing campjon first time
      outside. I think she could be named SUSHI BOAT, because of my love
      to sushi kitchen, and, I believe, something similar in her
      philosophy, look and way of building. Just put her upside down.

      I've posted them successfuly to files section, and not successfuly
      to photos section. It can be mainly seen how extended and opened the
      cabin is, and how the boat stand on the cabin itself, waiting for the
      bottom.

      Now, a few weeks later, we have problem with epoxy which does not
      getting strong as I expected. It doesn't let us paint the boat. I
      think the solution is to paint the laminat with hardener once more,
      and/or to warm the garage.

      -Wojtek B.
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2003
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wwbaginski" <citystudio@c...> wrote:
        > Hi, all-
        >
        > I've got some photos, made this summer , showing campjon first time
        > outside. I think she could be named SUSHI BOAT, because of my love
        > to sushi kitchen, and, I believe, something similar in her
        > philosophy, look and way of building. Just put her upside down.
        >
        > I've posted them successfuly to files section, and not successfuly
        > to photos section. It can be mainly seen how extended and opened the
        > cabin is, and how the boat stand on the cabin itself, waiting for
        the
        > bottom.

        Looks Good !

        > Now, a few weeks later, we have problem with epoxy which does not
        > getting strong as I expected. It doesn't let us paint the boat. I
        > think the solution is to paint the laminat with hardener once more,
        > and/or to warm the garage.
        >
        > -Wojtek B.

        That may be a problem; if the problem with the epoxy is that
        it does not have enough hardener added, brushing on more might
        help, but what if the problem is that the epoxy has too much
        hardener?

        I ran into the same problem with the Larsboat that i am
        building; the epoxy on a butt joint would not harden after
        a week, even with summer time temperatures.

        I ended up cleaning the epoxy off the wood with white vinegar
        and several scrub pads, and then rinsed with water.

        After the wood had several days to dry, I sanded it and then
        re-applied epoxy.

        That is one of three mistakes that I have made so far on this
        boat, and I am not even halfway done yet.

        An interesting name that you have given the boat; I may
        have to name one of mine "hamburger" or maybe "pizza!"

        Max
      • Luke S
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2003
          Wojtek,
          It looks great ! Man, you're going to have a ball on the Wistula when you
          finish it. Shame about the epoxy, what Max said would be the best solution.
          that's if it doesn't harden.

          Luke S.

          > I've got some photos, made this summer , showing campjon first time
          > outside. I think she could be named SUSHI BOAT, because of my love
          > to sushi kitchen, and, I believe, something similar in her
          > philosophy, look and way of building. Just put her upside down.
          >
          > I've posted them successfuly to files section, and not successfuly
          > to photos section. It can be mainly seen how extended and opened the
          > cabin is, and how the boat stand on the cabin itself, waiting for the
          > bottom.
          >
          > Now, a few weeks later, we have problem with epoxy which does not
          > getting strong as I expected. It doesn't let us paint the boat. I
          > think the solution is to paint the laminat with hardener once more,
          > and/or to warm the garage.
          >
          > -Wojtek B.
        • Mark A.
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2003
            Your boat looks great. You chose your lumber pretty well. The photos show a lot of careful work.

            _Very _ sorry to hear about the problem. Most epoxies will set up in a matter of days if
            the temperature is 10 - 15 Celsius. If your summer weather hasn't even been that high, you
            may have good luck by warming up the shop. Try it.

            Painting on more hardener will be a waste. Epoxy resin and hardener need a thorough
            _mixing_. At best you might mistake a hardened surface for the underlying strength you
            really need.

            One thing that's curious to me in the photos is the almost complete lack of the usual
            visible mess of glue drips, runoffs and splashes. Either you must be a very neat worker or
            did not use enough in any case.

            You obviously don't want to take the whole thing apart. I don't see anything in the photos
            to scrape off. Something that could work might be be to properly fillet and tape every
            important seam right over what you've got.

            ( Maybe I missed a message from you that you coated all the surfaces with epoxy -and that
            now that is what's not curing. )

            Specifically, what is the state of your epoxy? Is it still a little sticky? Or is it only
            soft enough to still leave scratches with you fingernail?

            Mark