Re: Digest Number 521/ Drains

  • vexatious2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2003

      > Also, have any of you folks had any experience with putting drain
      plugs in a boat like this? Did you go through the bottom, or transom?
      Did you use the little plastic ones, or the brass and rubber
      versions? If through the bottom, did you did you make a little
      cowling to induce suction for self bailing? Just curious..

      > Thanks...
      >
      > B.
      >
      > --
      > Barry Johnson
      > barry_johnson@o...

      I would put a drain through the transom, and the boat will
      "self bail" if the plug is pulled while on plane. All the
      way to one side or the other would be better than on
      the centerline.

      I would also put a through-bottom drain up forward, where
      the boat would drain if sitting nose-down on the trailer.

      I have (4) drains in the AF4, all to port. As long as the
      boat leans to port, it will drain bow-up or bow-down.

      I would NEVER put a through-bottom drain on the centerline
      of a flat-bottomed boat. It will never fully drain.

      Jim M put the drains in his AF4 (the one with the rot) on
      the centerline.

      On the AF4, I used cheap plastic "garboard drains" which
      consist of a flange which takes a threaded plug. These have
      worked fairly well, except that the flange causes the last
      1/8" of water to be trapped. Also, the cheap plastic threaded
      plugs "weep" unless I put a couple turns of teflon tape on
      the threads. Better quality bronze garboard drains are
      available. I brushed a few coats of epoxy on the plywood
      end-grain before installing the flanges.

      For the AF3, which has 3 through-bottom drains, all also to
      port, I bought some 1 1/4" expanding plugs at Home depot and
      drilled appropriate-sized holes in the bottom. I used epoxy
      and glass cloth to "line" the holes, but the cloth was a pain,
      and sealing the plywood end-grain with several coats of
      epoxy might be good enough. The AF3 will drain a lot faster
      than the 1/2" drains on the AF4 (will flood faster as well).

      I think Jim M just drilled holes through the bottom of his
      boat and stuck expanding plugs in them- no lining on the
      plywood end-grain at all.

      The correct-sized PVC pipe could be used to line a drain
      hole.

      I carry at least one spare plug on each boat.

      Max
    • sacalman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2003
        I am no expert but I think that you are better off putting the drain
        in the transom. Also, I would either use a brass one or possibly
        purchase one of the types used on an inflatable. My Achilles has a
        real cool one with a one-way flapper so that a large amount of water
        will run out thru the hole but, but water can't come back in. In
        effect, when you ship water you start moving and then pull the plug
        and the water will run out the back.

        Here is a good deal on one.
        http://www.inflatableboatparts.com/html/boatparts.htm#achilles

        MD-501 Achilles Rubber Drain Plug w/String; fits 1-3/8" dia. hole
        $16.95
        AMD-C441C Achilles Self Bailer Flapper Valve $4.00

        Here is a nother one with a link for a picture...

        http://www.defender.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/web_store.cgi?cart_id=

        Type in the part number...

        500654 AUTOMATIC DRAIN PLUG 1 lbs. $25.83 $19.95

        Good luck!

        Scott Calman