S&G with narrow tapes???

  • WeBookPeople@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
      I want to strengthen my Toto when I lengthen it (Larsboat style) to make a
      double out of it. It was originally just glued and filleted with no tapes.

      Now, my local distributor has only 2" and 6" tape; of course, I'd like 3" or
      4". If I buy 6" and slit it, I'll have more than twice the amount I need.
      Also, I'd have all those flyaway ends to deal with; nasty!!!

      Anyone used 2" wide tape? It seems that it would work, since the boat hasn't
      split with no tape at all, but I don't want to put in the work and expense if
      for some reason 2" isn't wide enough.

      Cheers/The Fader

    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
        Forget the tape! You do not need to put tape on a chine-log boat. If you
        want to use tape, leave out the chine logs. What's more important is to use
        good wood in the logs. You need something resistant to rot, like fir or
        cedar, or at least yellow pine. Do not use 'whitewood', birch, poplar,
        basswood, spruce, or any of the soft deciduous varieties.

        Chuck

        > I want to strengthen my Toto when I lengthen it (Larsboat style) to make a
        > double out of it. It was originally just glued and filleted with no tapes.
        >
        > Now, my local distributor has only 2" and 6" tape; of course, I'd like 3"
        or
        > 4". If I buy 6" and slit it, I'll have more than twice the amount I need.
        > Also, I'd have all those flyaway ends to deal with; nasty!!!
        >
        > Anyone used 2" wide tape? It seems that it would work, since the boat
        hasn't
        > split with no tape at all, but I don't want to put in the work and expense
        if
        > for some reason 2" isn't wide enough.
        >
        > Cheers/The Fader
      • Richard Spelling
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
          I bought rolls and rolls of 2" tape for my Chebacco.

          One layer of 2" on either side of 1/4" ply is stronger than the ply. Make and break some test joints if you need warm fuzzies.

          For my 1/2" ply, I used 3-5 layers of 2" tape, depending.

          The test joints there broke in the ply too.

          > I want to strengthen my Toto when I lengthen it (Larsboat style) to make a
          > double out of it. It was originally just glued and filleted with no tapes.
          >
          > Now, my local distributor has only 2" and 6" tape; of course, I'd like 3" or
          > 4". If I buy 6" and slit it, I'll have more than twice the amount I need.
          > Also, I'd have all those flyaway ends to deal with; nasty!!!
          >
          > Anyone used 2" wide tape? It seems that it would work, since the boat hasn't
          > split with no tape at all, but I don't want to put in the work and expense if
          > for some reason 2" isn't wide enough.
          >
          > Cheers/The Fader

        • john_fader
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
            Thanks, Richard,

            2" it is, then. I'm on my way to the supplier.

            Chuck, Toto is S&G... not a chine log anywhere :-)

            Cheers/Don

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@c...> wrote:

            > One layer of 2" on either side of 1/4" ply is stronger than the ply.
            Make and break some test joints if you need warm fuzzies.

          • Al
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
              I routinely use ~2" tape on projects from tack and
              tape mouseboats to competition rowing shell repairs.
              No Problems whatsoever. Just follow the usual surface
              preperation and full-wetting-out operations and I
              don't think you'll see any problems in a small boat.

              For narrow tape you should look at the 3/4" tape I
              picked up this morning (and promptly put back down
              again), the only application I can think of for that
              would be laminating it over a small crack somewhere.

              Al

            • Chuck Leinweber
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
                > Chuck, Toto is S&G... not a chine log anywhere :-)
                >
                > Cheers/Don

                As soon as I get this egg off my face, I'll come up with a witty retort.

                chuck