stuff

  • rlspell2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
      Uploaded some pictures of the larsboat I made.

      Anyone have any thoughts on when the single sideboard ala Michalak is
      appropriate, when you should use two sideboards, when you should use
      leeboards, and when a centerboard/daggerboard is more appropriate?
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
        Good looking boat, Richard. When did you build it?

        The only reason I can think of for having two pivoting boards is to get
        shallow draft like Max is doing in his AF3.

        Real (non-pivoting) leeboards? Maybe something like a canoe that you want to
        take the board clear off for paddling.

        Centerboards and daggerboards are for a boat that you want to sail well, and
        look like a real sailboat as opposed to a "fake" one.

        Chuck

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
          Year or so ago. Have since sold it.

          I was thinking, the sharpies have max righting force at 20 degrees of
          heel or so. Best sailing is at about 15. You sail them flat, so a
          single sideboard works fine. If your boat is a multichine your best
          sailing is at a higher heel angel, so your sideboard will be further
          out of the water on the "wrong" tack.

          A similar problem developes with an extra wide boat, the extra lever
          length will pull the sideboard out of the water at high angels of
          heel.

          The question is, where do you say: "on boat with such and such width,
          or with a max heeling force at such and such of an angle, you need
          two sideboards or a centerboard/daggerboard?"

          leeboard, as in only works when it's on the lee side of the boat.

          Not sure that two sideboards will give you shallow draft capability.
          I've sailed Entropy in a couple of feet of water, with the board
          kicked back. Generates quite a bit of lee helm. Componded by the
          double reefs in the sail, the only thing I could do was reach to
          deeper water.