Adding a V-bottom to a Flat bottom hull

  • cosermann
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
      Has anyone seen this article in the Jul/Aug '03 issue of Wooden Boat
      magazine (page 41)? The author describes a method of adding a vee-
      bottom to a flat bottom skiff that looks simple, but I've never seen
      it before. Since many of us in this group build flat-bottomed boats,
      I thought it might be of interest. Looks like a simple way to
      experiment with a hull or solve a pounding problem if you've built a
      flat bottomed boat and find that your local waters are too rough for
      it.

      Regards,
    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
        I've given a bit of thought about whether or not it would work on my AF4. I don't think it's necessarily as straightforward as it might seem. I see a couple of pitfalls to doing this on an existing boat.

        1. It's probably heavy! There's a lot of structure in there for what you get.

        2. All that sealed space is a potential rot problem. Also there is no way to inspect/repair damage.

        3. Any boat you want to retrofit a V-bottom on will have be carefully redesigned to make sure the boat will float and run on it's lines. For example, I think to do this on an AF4, you will need to cut the bottom off from BH 10 forward and raise the existing forefoot by at least 12". Adding deadrise to the transom will mean you will either lower the motor mount or buy a longer shaft motor.

        4. Making sure what you design is developable in sheet plywood is not trivial. This is no place for 'eyeballing' it, IMO.

        I'd be interested to see what happened if someone tried it, but I sure don't want to be the guinea pig with my boat!

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
          Heavy is in the eye of the beholder. Yes it will add some weight,
          but the author of the article didn't seem to think it was too much.
          Of course people have different tolerances for that sort of thing.

          Agreed, that it wouldn't be something to do by eyeball. The author
          did a model before trying it on his boat (a picture of which is in
          the article).

          Interesting.
        • vexatious2001
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "cosermann" <arielmiller@h...> wrote:
            > Has anyone seen this article in the Jul/Aug '03 issue of Wooden Boat
            > magazine (page 41)? The author describes a method of adding a vee-
            > bottom to a flat bottom skiff that looks simple, but I've never seen
            > it before. Since many of us in this group build flat-bottomed
            boats,
            > I thought it might be of interest. Looks like a simple way to
            > experiment with a hull or solve a pounding problem if you've built a
            > flat bottomed boat and find that your local waters are too rough for
            > it.
            >
            > Regards,

            Have not seen the article but here is how i would do it:

            Flip boat upside down; add external "keel" built-up from
            2 by 2's to the desired keel line; glue layers of blue
            foam insulation board to the hull bottom to the level
            of the wood keel; construct a "hot wire" to cut foam to
            shape by running wire along chine and keel; cover shaped
            foam bottom with 3 or maybe 4 layers of fiberglass.

            Built in floatation; no voids to worry about; no limitations
            as to "conically developed" panels

            Horsepower needs will be increased.

            Max
          • antec007
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21, 2003
              Has anybody given any thought to adding a Bolger Type "Box Keel" to
              one of Jim's flat bottom boats?
              Has Jim?

              I have no experience, but have heard that even a small box keel will
              lessen the pounding of a perfectly flat bottom and would be a lot
              less work than trying to add a complete new V bottom and Might even
              be Doable.
              You'd lose the flat bottom at the bow for beaching, but, taking Max's
              advice, I now beach my PK stern to and it makes getting on and off
              easy.
              Even for Kay and her Titanium hips.
              She can just sit on one of the stern compartments and spin around and
              step out. Cool.
              Even with the Big Old 33 HP motor and all the other heavy junk in the
              back, the boat still only draws about 5-6" at the stern.

              Anybody have any experience with Bolger "Box Keel" boats?
              Built wide enough, the box could even give a little foot room or even
              if narrower the old bottom could be cut away so there would at least
              be some inspection access.

              Just a "Wild Hair" though.

              Pat Patteson

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Bell <smallboatdesigner@m...>