Re: scarfing/ Mast questions// cable-wire ties

  • vexatious2001
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
      --- In Michalak@y..., "no1likhim" <no1likhim@y...> wrote:
      > When I built Boo Boo the Dinghy, and it came time to "afix" the sail
      > to the mast (Sprit rig), I made the sail with the appropriate amount
      > of grommets and used nylon wire ties to make mast hoops. I left them
      > loose enough to slide easily and have had no problems with them
      > since. You can always carry several in your emegency bag.
      >
      > MIkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
      >

      > I like that; I already carry wire and cable ties in
      my toolbox; good for lots of things, like replacing lost
      hose clamps.

      Max
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
        --- In Michalak@y..., "Chuck Leinweber" <chuck@d...> wrote:
        > I have also heard of making hoops out of pvc pipe. Of course, the
        > traditional way is to fashion them of wood.
        >
        > Chuck
        >

        > Forget the wood; too much work

        On the PVC, schedule 40 or 80, or that cheap green
        stuff? Also, I assume one has to cut the hoop to get it on
        the sail; use PVC cement to glue it back together??

        I guess I need the halyard for hoops. Also, what about
        snooter (snoter) interferience?

        Questions, questions.....

        Max
      • vexatious2001
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002

          > What did you use to glue the scarphs? Properly done, a scarph is
          just
          > as strong, and just as flexible, as the unscarphed wood. Don't think
          > it really matters, I've had them on the bottom and on the top, with
          > no noticable difference.

          I used epoxy and fumed silica, but make no claims as to
          doing it "properly."

          > ALL varnishes flake after time. On brightwork on a boat it is easy
          > revarnish. On a mast you have to pull the rigging. PAINT the thing.

          > > I like the idea of painting; then it is harder to tell
          that the scarfs were not "properly" done (until it breaks)>

          > One continuous loop looks better, and is less likely to come loose.
          > Unless you are going to tie a riggers knot, your single ties will
          > come loose.

          One vote recorded in favor

          > No halyard on a sprit rig, keep it simple.

          one vote recorded in favor

          > > Any danger of this mast jumping out of it's step
          > > while under sail (might not be comfortable for someone
          > > sitting next to it at the time.)? The foot sits in
          > > a 1 1/2" deep "recess" in the mast step, and the top
          > > utilizes a typical Michalak "gate" arrangement. Looks
          > > like gravity and friction are the only things holding
          > > it down. Should it be "pinned" in place?
          > >
          > I've never had that problem, even when I turned my spritsail D4
          > variant turtle.
          >
          > If you ware worried, lead the snotter to a turning block and cleat
          > it off on deck. That should pull the mast down nice and snug.

          Now there's a thought. Kill two birds with one stone.

          Max
        • xshedbuilder <trevord@mbox.com.au>
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 12, 2003
            Hi All

            I just finished making a circular saw scarfing attachment and a taper
            guide for a table saw, as per design on www.TracyObrien.com site.
            Both jigs work extremely well.
            Please excuse if this is old news.

            Trevord‰
          • vexatious2001 <cadbury@swbell.net>
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 14, 2003
              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "xshedbuilder <trevord@m...>"
              <trevord@m...> wrote:

              > Hi All
              >
              > I just finished making a circular saw scarfing attachment and a
              taper
              > guide for a table saw, as per design on www.TracyObrien.com site.
              > Both jigs work extremely well.
              > Please excuse if this is old news.
              >
              > Trevord‰

              Always nice to have confirmation that something works
              as purported.

              Max