Re: Harmonica or Shanteuse

  • micro2001au
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2003
      -John,
      Not a bad idea. The only reservation I have with harmonica (not
      having seen the plans) is that the bunks could be a tad narrow - an
      extra 6 inches wide for each bunk on Harmonica would be good,
      especially if sleeping was envisaged. Its still a big boat though.
      Theres plenty of time to muse over such issues - this project is a
      couple of years away yet. Must order the plans -they are fairly
      cheap, even in Aussie dollars.
      Surf is all but finished - minus paint, spars and sail purchase.
      Unfortunately my wife isn't that athletically able to jumping in and
      around small sharpies,(crook knee) so when I saw Shanteuse/harmonica
      I thought it would be a great way for us to get out on the water more
      often - fishing line around the toe, esky, a good book, you get the
      picture. As you can see I have my justification worked out in
      advance to get permission build another boat! (Probably more
      practical than my plan to circumnavigate Australia in a home made
      Micro)

      Col

      -- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "vicskiff" <john.ewing@s...> wrote:
      > Col,
      >
      > This is a guy talking who's never seen either a Harmonica or a
      > Shanteuse but it looks to me from the drawings that the interior
      > volume of both is much the same -- except that Shanteuse is a foot
      > wider. If you want to keep the motor and fuel away from the cabin
      > (and I would) it seems to me that adding a 3-ft aft cockpit to
      > Harmonica would be pretty straight-forward and give you, in effect,
      > 5-ft-wide Chanteuse. Just add one more frame. Or why not make it 4
      ft
      > and include a motor well? Putting in a raised cockpit floor for
      self-
      > draining the rain would add strength to the aft extension as a
      bonus.
      > Lengthening Harmonica would be easier, I think, than making
      Chanteuse