Re: Harmonica or Shanteuse

  • vicskiff
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
      Col,

      This is a guy talking who's never seen either a Harmonica or a
      Shanteuse but it looks to me from the drawings that the interior
      volume of both is much the same -- except that Shanteuse is a foot
      wider. If you want to keep the motor and fuel away from the cabin
      (and I would) it seems to me that adding a 3-ft aft cockpit to
      Harmonica would be pretty straight-forward and give you, in effect, a
      5-ft-wide Chanteuse. Just add one more frame. Or why not make it 4 ft
      and include a motor well? Putting in a raised cockpit floor for self-
      draining the rain would add strength to the aft extension as a bonus.
      Lengthening Harmonica would be easier, I think, than making Chanteuse
      narrower. Just my 2 cents Cdn.

      John

      By the way, Col, is your Surf finished? I now have mine rigged
      (including Michalak-style board and rudder) but haven't had much
      sailing experience with it yet. Did show it off at the Depoe Bat
      wooden boat festival this past weekend, though -- only to be upstaged
      by a beautiful Bolger Light Schooner!

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "micro2001au" <mooneycolin@d...>
      wrote:

      > Hi group,
      > Have just found your group, (thanks Bruce) after having been a
      member
      > of the Bolger group for some years. Is there anyone out there that
      > has built either Harmonica or Shanteuse? I'd like to discuss any
      > drawbacks that the boats may have. (can't think of too many) What
      > great little boats they are, they look easy and cheap to build, I
      > just can't decide which one is for me. I'm leaning towards
      > Harmonica, (cheaper, smaller trailer) but I would like to keep the
      > fuel/outboard out of the living area. I have found them on the
      > Duckworks site but there doesn't appear to be muc else out there on
      > them.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Col
    • micro2001au
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2003
        -John,
        Not a bad idea. The only reservation I have with harmonica (not
        having seen the plans) is that the bunks could be a tad narrow - an
        extra 6 inches wide for each bunk on Harmonica would be good,
        especially if sleeping was envisaged. Its still a big boat though.
        Theres plenty of time to muse over such issues - this project is a
        couple of years away yet. Must order the plans -they are fairly
        cheap, even in Aussie dollars.
        Surf is all but finished - minus paint, spars and sail purchase.
        Unfortunately my wife isn't that athletically able to jumping in and
        around small sharpies,(crook knee) so when I saw Shanteuse/harmonica
        I thought it would be a great way for us to get out on the water more
        often - fishing line around the toe, esky, a good book, you get the
        picture. As you can see I have my justification worked out in
        advance to get permission build another boat! (Probably more
        practical than my plan to circumnavigate Australia in a home made
        Micro)

        Col