Helensboat?

  • phil_e.stine
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2014
      I've run across some brief comments around the web from a year or two ago about a stretched Trilars called "Helensboat". Does anyone have any information on this project? There have been no postings about it for several months. I was curious to find out how stretching a Trilars 4 feet worked out.

    • cruising.sailor
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2014
        In case you haven't seen the first two parts of  Gary's build - beginning here...
        Duckworks - Helensboat - Part One

        Very interesting how easy he makes everything seem... and JM of course keeps it simple for the 'stretch' by suggesting adding the necessary extra length as straight panel sections.

        I hadn't seen this Helensboat info before, so thanks for starting this thread.

        Maybe Gary will see your thread and treat us to more info on the build -- goodness knows at his rate of building so far, the boat may be sailing by now.
      • gbship
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 14, 2014

          Thanks to Scott Gosnell for pointing me to this thread. Helensboat remains under construction. Not much was done in the past couple years, partly because I've had two carpal tunel and unlar nerve releases on both hands/elbows and I've reserved my healthy times for things like Everglades Challenges and a Florida 120. I have gotten the leeboard guards on and the mast step & partner installed, and the bottom is graphited and the hull is ready to paint. A lot more finishing work has been done than on any of my previous boats. (Name it after your wife and she tends to demand a high standard.) The weekend before last all the parts for the akas were cut out and I hoped to get those assembled last weekend, but the weather didn't cooperate (it doesn't help that I have to build outside). When those are done, hopefully in the next couple weeks. all that will remain is painting and assembly. The bracing structure for the crossarm on the foredeck looks to be the last challenging bit.

          We have paddled the sealed main hull. It's steady, but not speedy, as expected. It's a bit wider than a normal kayak. The goal is that one person can lie down full length while a second runs the boat from the stern section of the cockpit. There will probably be some experimentation with the rig; I have a 15 foot carbon fiber Windsurfer mast that will be beefed up. Initially, the sail will be the 55-foot balanced lug from our Piccup. I planed to use the small mizzen from our Frolic2, but haven't found a convenient way to mount a mizzen mast yet that won't be in the way of the helmsman or pierce the watertight sterndeck.

          It's possible that Helensboat will be used for the 2015 Everglades Challenge, but I've leaning toward either our Frolic2 or John Bell's (we're a team next year) Core Sound 17. Will have to see how dry the Helensboat is.

          It was a very straightforward build. Just get the Larboat/trilars plans and add four feet to the bottom and bilge panels where they've already been lengthened on the main hull and stretch the akas by four feet. I thought the sidedeck would have to be redrawn, but if you study the plans, it's easy to see how the deck for the Larsboat can be lengthened for Helensboat. BTW, one or two Trilars builders left the sidedecks off, to their regret. It apparently makes the boat a lot wetter and there's a tendency for water to flow up the leading face of the leeboard and from there it arcs right into the cockpit if there's no deck. If you do build a Helensboat, make some extra temporary bulkheads for the main hull (and probably the akas). there's a lot of length between the bulkheads and the bottom ply tends to sag, especially if you go with 3/16 ply as I did (since it was going to be glassed inside & out). I made a couple extra, but the bottom is still a bit wavy.

          A fellow WaterTriber suggested building v-bottom akas, but I don't trust myself to do that kind of modification without a lot more oversight/advice.

          Gary Blankenship

        • phil_e.stine
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 2014
            Gary,

            What did the OAL of your main hull end up at?
          • gbship
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 18, 2014

              19 feet -- four feet longer than Larsboat.

              Gary