Securing the Leeboard

  • scast101
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 28, 2014

      Now that I have it on the trailer, I'm wondering how the leeboard is made to stay in place? Seems like it needs something strapped around the bottom of the board the leading up to the gunwale. How have others dealt with this?

      For that matter, how do folks transport the mast, yard and boom?

      Thanks!

      Steve

    • Gene Berry
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 28, 2014

        I use a bungee cord around the leeboard hooked over the gunnel on mine. John Goodman has a hole in the backside of his and has a hook that holds it up during travel.
        for the mast and boom i have a crutch that fits in the mast hole and another one in the rear of the boat that holds the mast and boom with the sail wrapped around the mast.

        Gene Berry

        On Saturday, June 28, 2014 9:21 PM, "scast101@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Now that I have it on the trailer, I'm wondering how the leeboard is made to stay in place? Seems like it needs something strapped around the bottom of the board the leading up to the gunwale. How have others dealt with this?

        For that matter, how do folks transport the mast, yard and boom?

        Thanks!

        Steve

      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 28, 2014

          I have line,  rigged by John Kohnen, knotted to a hole in the leeboard's ear or tab.

          One end goes forward to a small pulley, then returns aft to tie off. This holds it retracted very well.

          The other end come straight aft to a quick release cleat for holding down.

          Nothing could be simpler.

          Mark

          On Jun 28, 2014 7:21 PM, "scast101@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Now that I have it on the trailer, I'm wondering how the leeboard is made to stay in place? Seems like it needs something strapped around the bottom of the board the leading up to the gunwale. How have others dealt with this?

          For that matter, how do folks transport the mast, yard and boom?

          Thanks!

          Steve

        • dean48herring
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 29, 2014
            check out Dean' LadyBug picture number 061. There is a pully forward of the lee board a cleat and quick release aft of it. picture 061 shows how the pully is used to haul the lee board up and then one can tie it off to the cleat for picking it up while in the water. Pic 061 shows the trailer condition where I lead the line down from the cleat and around the board back up to the cleat to be tied off for trailering. Look closely and you can see a hole at the end of the board. This hole was for a bolt to go through the hull above the water line when this board was originally on the Mike' Boat. I had made a bit against the hull on that boat the stuck out and looked like a little wing kind of like the lee board support. So, for the Mike' boat I literally bolted the lee board to the hull at that point - being a bit paranoid of having the board drop while trailering. Now, to lower the lee board and keep it there the line is grasped between the where it attaches on the lee board and that pulley and led back to the quick release - the pulley and the cleat are not in play. there is a stop knot that keeps the line from going out the pulley. I did hit a rock reef a couple weeks ago about 8 inches beneath the boat - quick release popped, rudder pivoted up everything just as it was supposed to happen and all was well. Hope that helps,
            Dean
          • Eugene Dixon
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 29, 2014
              need more info
              unable to locate
              "Deans Lady bug
                    Eugene

[...]

            • goodman_clan
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 29, 2014
                Here is how I keep my leeboards up when they are up on the trailer.

                Duckworks - June Treasure Chest

              • dean48herring
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 29, 2014
                  Eugene, go to the photos button - then hit the album button then see the album 4th one in. Stupid Yahoo - opps not you! haha Dean
                • edixon193941
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 29, 2014

                    Hi Dean

                      This is 2nd atempt at e/m to you, dont know where first dissapeared to.

                                what am interested in is where variousmaterial are used in boats construction.

                      Marine ply is not in my budget.  Can get 1/2" MDO, 3/8 BC pine and 1/4"

                    Luan.

                       Have JIm's piccup pram, but simply cannot set in bildge{back}

                    Have just copleted JIM's JB3,am afraid it is going to be to much boat for

                    stiff old body, plaan on splashing it this week,will find out.
                       Have sailed in Kenny  Giles boat was just fine

                    Eugene

                       where are you located?.

                  • dean48herring

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1 9:33 PM
                        If that pull-up line comes loose, the leeboard rests on one of the trailer
                        bunks. It really isn't intended to support the board when barreling down a
                        bumpy road -- the line is weak and the leverage isn't good. Wasn't there
                        another line from the aft edge of the leeboard to a cleat on the edge of
                        the cabin roof for holding the board up while on the road? Maybe I did
                        away with it , knowing that the board couldn't fall very far if the
                        pull-up line failed... <shrug>

                        On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 22:00:07 -0700, Mark A wrote:

                        > I have line, rigged by John Kohnen, knotted to a hole in the leeboard's
                        > ear or tab.
                        >
                        > One end goes forward to a small pulley, then returns aft to tie off. This
                        > holds it retracted very well.
                        >
                        > The other end come straight aft to a quick release cleat for holding
                        > down.

                        John (jkohnen@...)
                        One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell by Dickens
                        without laughing. (Oscar Wilde)
                      • John Kohnen
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 1 9:37 PM
                          That's certainly a secure setup! Looks like you can reach it while on the
                          water. A Good Idea, because sooner or later you're gonna forget to undo
                          the shackle before launching. ;o) That's something we should all think
                          about when devising ways to hold our leeboard up while trailering. <g>

                          --
                          John (jkohnen@...)
                          The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. (Kate Chopin)
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 2 3:21 AM

                            ps

                            I'd say your line, with leeboard retracted, holds the board's ear less up than _forward_ , and just helps it hold itself quite up.

                          • goodman_clan
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 2 11:26 AM
                              I unhook the shackle but do not pull the pin thru the board when launching. This keeps the board up and allows me to reach over and then just pull the pin out then down drops the leeboard. I have on occasions forgotten to undo the shackle but that is why it's within easy reach, just in case.
                            • scast101
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 4 9:16 AM
                                Thank you all for the responses. They will help with the final fit-out. I may shackle the board in place.

                                Steve