What can I use this wood for?

  • Matthew Hall
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2014
      For $5 at Lowes yesterday I bought a pallet of dunnage they had laying around.  Most of it is Southern Yellow Pine (it's stamped as such), but there's some other stuff too.  The pieces range from about 40-50" in length.  Some are 1.5" x 2.25" and some are 3.5" x 3.5".  I was able to separate out quite a few clear pieces with no (or very small) knots that are nice and straight.  The wood is stamped "HT" which stands for heat treated, so it's also pretty dry.  I haven't actually purchased AF4 Casa plans yet, but I'm slowly building up a stockpile of lumber and am hoping that I'll be able to put some of this to use for various parts of the boat.  If not, there are about a million other things I could do with it, but just wanted to ask others since from what I hear a lot of folks tend to use 2x4s ripped in half for bulkhead frames, etc...

      Thanks,

      Matthew

    • Chris Parker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2014
        You have done well this day! At
        http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jg/hotchili/index.htm Jeff Gilbert,
        talking about his catamaran design, Hot Chili, says:

        GET WOOD !
        Start stockpiling timber now! Grab odd bits of scrap ply and pine
        offcuts, there are skips fiull at building sites headed for the dump.
        Grab bits of oregon and hardwood,, you only need a 2ft 6 ins of 6 x 1
        for your stem. Youll need an assortment of sizes for bracing,
        temporary struts, measuring (a stick and a pencil dont transpose
        figures) and padding clamps (collect clamps too). If you don’t have a
        ute, put it in your boot, tie it on the roofrack. Boatbuilders cars
        should be sacrificial items.

        I've always taken those wise words to apply to boatbuilding in general.

        - Chris
      • John Trussell
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2014

          If you are equipped to rip wood (I’ve done it with a hand held circular saw and a rip fence though these days I prefer a band saw or table saw) and a plane or thickness planer, you can machine your “dunnage” into usable bracing for frames and cleats. If you don’t already have a pair, you will need a pair of saw horses and you have the makings of a good pair. (Note: you may want to support your hull in an inverted position, so it is worth while to build the horses a little longer than the boats beam.) There are many other uses and I rarely throw offcuts and scraps away.

          JohnT