Newbie....Considering First Project..

  • solomon_man
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2014

      All,

      Hi All !

      First posting but have been following a while.....

      I am considering building a small personal craft.  (8-12ft)

      Need some suggestions....

      The purpose of this project is to accomplish the following (requirements);

      1) Father and Son Project - Son is almost 12 and he is going to a Local Nautical Charter School

      2) Get some use of all my collected small Outboards (all Johnny-Rudes 1940-60's  (2.5-7.5hp) (member of AOMCI)

      3) Use up some marine plywood that I will probably have after my next month project supplies arrives (1990 Tracker Part Barge - re-deck and re-carpet) (Probably 1 and 3/4 sheets extra - 2 max) - Minimum order deal.

      4) Use up some epoxy from another project  (on the heavy side of a Half Gallon - yellow)

      4) Something I can launch myself without dragging a trailer (back of truck/van idea - have both type vehicles)

      5) Small enough to hang up in rafters of large garage or set up right.

      6)  Will be used in local waters (Northwest Ohio - Maumee River (largest)/quarry/reservoir (smallest)

      7)  Handle 300lbs plus gear (I am 260+ lbs)...I have considered the son and I (two person) arrangement but I have 2 other kids currently and will be having two more no later then this September. So the personal craft one person approach is what I am going with... as the family water mobile is the pontoon.

      I have a few crafts currently....

      1959 Lonestar Monterrey - 14ft -  (Late Dads - restored by yours truly - new deck/fiberglass the works - has a 1958 35hp on it that I went through as well)

      1980 Smoker Craft - 14ft -  (Setup as a fishing vessel with pole seats etc) - 1955 25hp Big Twin (used the most of the boats)

      1983 Meyers- Sportsman Pal (Sportspal) (16ft) - Used at the Quarry a lot - no outboards allowed

      1990 Smokercraft Party Barge (24.3ft - 40HP ) - family mobile

      Looking for something to fill the void between canoe and 14ft vessels...something to take to the AOMCI meets or something possibly for the son or I to have fun.

      I have looked at Jon Boats but I think the problem I am having is the plans/books I have looked at are on the larger side of boat size limit and none seem to mention outboard HP possibility really. Anyone know if other boat types will work?

      Looking for suggestions....This will be a winter project....

      Thanks,

      Chris

    • John Trussell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2014

        Take a look at Jim’s John Jr.

        JohnT

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 24, 2014

          All,

          Took a look at the Jim’s John Jr.  (Size looks about right / horsepower mentioned a plus)

          Says out of 1/4 plywood....Does anyone know what the affects would be if it was built out of mostly 3/4 marine plywood....  I know weight would increase....affects?

          Could I mix the 3/4 in and build rest out of 1/4....newbie question here I am sure....

          Also if I trimmed it down size wise (if possible?) anyone know how I would go about it and its affects?

          Assuming carrying capacity would reduce....

          Thanks

          Chris

        • Joseph Stromski

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 2014

              All,

              Thanks for the input on the wood!

              I may have someone, if not craigslist, to take any full sheets I purchase that I do not need. Still working with the Wood supply shop to see if I can be added to any larger orders. Evidently the local place I use gets quite a bit of requests for marine ply especially in the warm seasons.

              Most of my waste will be generated in the Console area  of the Pontoon and I plan to remove and trace out the original console onto the new plywood. Then I will re-carpet in something a little more thicker than the 28oz floor carpet to make it easier on myself. (Grew up in the flooring business - family business 3rd generation) -  I did it professionally to pay my College  degrees (Bachelors/Masters).

              So If I can use it in the transom, maybe the seating, and anywhere strips can be used for reinforcement I would be very pleased.

              Does anyone know...Can you trim the size down to a smaller boat say 8ft or 10ft?  (I see metal Jon boats that size....so curious.)

              What do typical plans include?

              Are the plans typically paper or electronic?

              I have purchased a few books on boat building...One I purchased from duckworks...Boatbuilding For Beginners (and Beyond) - by Jim Michalak....I have also purchase hardware etc for my other boating projects from the duckworks site. Is there any difference in the plans in the book and the ones being sold? If I remember correctly there is a Jon boat plan.

              As far as tools used...Is there any issue using pneumatic tools assuming using the proper hardware for marine application (stainless etc).

              I really appreciate all the feedback,

              Chris