Mayfly 14 - Leeboard

  • dtr1974
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2014
      Ok, I cut my leeboard out and accidentally cut it 12 inch exact (wide) instead of 13 tapering to 12..do you think the extra bit makes a enough difference to recut or add a inch back and cut taper. Seems to me it would be negligible.
    • daniel brown
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 17, 2014

        negligible.

        To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
        From: dougreuter@...
        Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:14:58 -0700
        Subject: [Michalak] Mayfly 14 - Leeboard

        Ok, I cut my leeboard out and accidentally cut it 12 inch exact (wide) instead of 13 tapering to 12..do you think the extra bit makes a enough difference to recut or add a inch back and cut taper. Seems to me it would be negligible.
      • Dennis Mcfadden
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17, 2014
          Agree, probably not worth talking about. Try it out. If you're not happy you can still make the changes.

          To: michalak@yahoogroups.com
          From: dannyb9@...
          Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:20:38 +0000
          Subject: RE: [Michalak] Mayfly 14 - Leeboard

          negligible.

          To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
          From: dougreuter@...
          Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:14:58 -0700

        • jhargrovewright2@juno.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 17, 2014
            If you will take a little care with the shaping and finish .... You will gain performance rather than lose. JIB

            Agree, probably not worth talking about. Try it out. If you're not happy you can still make the changes.

            To: michalak@yahoogroups.com
            From: dannyb9@...
            Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:20:38 +0000

            negligible.

            To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
            From: dougreuter@...
            Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:14:58 -0700

            Ok, I cut my leeboard out and accidentally cut it 12 inch exact (wide) instead of 13 tapering to 12..do you think the extra bit makes a enough difference to recut or add a inch back and cut taper. Seems to me it would be negligible.

          • somersailing
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2014
              My Mikesboat  leeboard is parallel  and it works great!
            • Dennis Mcfadden
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2014
                I recently spent a long cold wet day in a Mikes Boat. Yes it sailed just fine, but what a WET boat!

                To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                From: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 20:06:16 -0700

                My Mikesboat  leeboard is parallel  and it works great!
              • dean48herring
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5, 2014
                  Dennis, you need to qualify that statement because if the mikes boat is a wet boat then any of the Michalsk designs will be a wet boat in the conditions you were in. Dean, who has built and owned aMike's Bost
                • Dennis Mcfadden
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 5, 2014
                    Hi Dean. I was crewing for a gent by the name of Dave Chase who had his boat built for him. The Mikes Boat was on my short list but I settled on the Scram Pram. By comparison the Scram has a narrower bottom / more bilge panels than the M/Boat. The result is that the M/Boat pounds a lot more than the Scram. The day in question had a fair chop and pretty high winds up to 20 knts. Dave is an excellent sailor and I guess I was an excellent spray deflector. My Scram would have been a lot dryer plus of course it is much more closed in anyway..

                    Dennis

                    To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                    From: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 15:57:01 -0700