Smelly Garage

  • okiebobby@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 16, 2014

      Saturday I cutout the side panels for an IMB, and was trying to keep them as mirror image as possible. So I tacked the plywood together in order to cut both port and starboard at the same time.

      I had a little trouble getting it all to line up and stay together since it was 4 full panels to work with considering the little boat is still longer than eight feet and has two sides. We'll after getting the good plywood in place I was afraid to move anything, but still needed to place some sacrificial plywood underneath so the circular saw blade wouldn't hit the slab.  We'll I decided to set the blade shallow enough to just miss the slab without using a backboard.

      I earned that AC plywood is not always the same width throughout the panel, and that a dull blade stinks up the garage for a few days.

      It wasn't pretty but that step is done. Next time I'll put the scrap wood down before lining up the good wood.
    • John Trussell
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 16, 2014

        Nail the plywood together before you cut. Fill in the holes with thickened epoxy after the hull is together.

        JohnT

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 16, 2014
          Foam insulation board works well as a backer to protect the blade from the concrete.

          Dennis / Scram Pram

          To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
          From: jtrussell2@...
          Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 20:08:08 -0500
          Subject: RE: [Michalak] Smelly Garage

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 16, 2014

            Dennis, thanks for the tip.  I had some foam insulation board just a few feet away at the time.

            Love your Scram Pram.  It helped me decide to build an IMB.  I don't have the Scram Pram plans, but I suspect the Scram Pram is a scaled up version of the IMB.

            I feel more like I'm building a scaled down Scram Pram, than an IMB.  With the pieces all separate it makes the boat appear tiny, but I suspect it will feel a little bigger once it is all put together.

            I've been inside a Caroline, and it felt enormous.  The Scram Pram cabin is probably similar dimensions.  IMB ought to be plenty big for me though.

          • Dennis Mcfadden
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 16, 2014
              People who come aboard the Scram Pram are always amazed at how much space I have in a 16 footer. I attended the Small Craft Skills Academy (which I highly recommend, what a hoot!! as well as a learning experience). At one point many people piled aboard for a discussion with wine in hand. I counted 10 adults ... and we were perhaps a good 10 inches in the water than before the load. Cozy but doable. Not safe to move though .... <GRIN>   The enormous space shrinks rapidly when you are living on it for days at a time though.

              To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 18, 2014
                I can't crawl around on my hands and knees much anymore (and never liked
                to <g>), so I use a folding cutting table on sawhorses for cutting
                plywood. If the plywood is thin I put a sheet of the cheapest foam
                insulation on top of the cutting table before putting the plywood down:

                or

                http://preview.tinyurl.com/kgjmweh

                --
                John (jkohnen@...)
                What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 18, 2014
                  Although much smaller that a Scram Pram, I found my Jewelbox, Jr. to be a
                  very social boat. I never tried to see how many people she'd "drink", but
                  she was comfortable sailing with four adults, and sitting in the quiet
                  inside while sailing was very conducive to active BSing. :o)

                  Did you bring your Scram Pram to Port Townsend on her own bottom for the
                  Palooza and Small Craft Skills Academy?

                  Oh, and thanks for the generous Calendar payment I received the other
                  day...

                  On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:36:50 -0800, Dennis Mcf wrote:

                  > People who come aboard the Scram Pram are always amazed at how much
                  > space I have in a 16 footer. I attended the Small Craft Skills Academy
                  > (which I highly recommend, what a hoot!! as well as a learning
                  > experience). At one point many people piled aboard for a discussion with
                  > wine in hand. I counted 10 adults ... and we were perhaps a good 10
                  > inches in the water than before the load. Cozy but doable. Not safe to
                  > move though .... <GRIN> The enormous space shrinks rapidly when you
                  > are living on it for days at a time though.

                  --
                  John (jkohnen@...)
                  Many a man has fallen in love with a girl in light so dim he would not
                  have chosen a suit by it. (Maurice Chevalier)
                • Dennis Mcfadden
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 18, 2014
                    Hi john. Glad the Postal system(s) worked. I wasn't going for a record when the hordes boarded my boat. Just kinda' happened. Amazing how far people can hear a cork pop. . .  I trailered the boat down to Pt. Townsend, I just didn't have the time to do otherwise. This retirement gig is verrrry busy.

                    Dennis

                    > To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: jhkohnen@...
                    > Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:31:06 -0800
                    > Subject: Re: [Michalak] Smelly Garage
                    >
                    > Although much smaller that a Scram Pram, I found my Jewelbox, Jr. to be a
                    > very social boat. I never tried to see how many people she'd "drink", but
                    > she was comfortable sailing with four adults, and sitting in the quiet
                    > inside while sailing was very conducive to active BSing. :o)
                    >
                    > Did you bring your Scram Pram to Port Townsend on her own bottom for the
                    > Palooza and Small Craft Skills Academy?
                    >
                    > Oh, and thanks for the generous Calendar payment I received the other
                    > day...
                    >
                    > On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:36:50 -0800, Dennis Mcf wrote:
                    >
                    > > People who come aboard the Scram Pram are always amazed at how much
                    > > space I have in a 16 footer. I attended the Small Craft Skills Academy
                    > > (which I highly recommend, what a hoot!! as well as a learning
                    > > experience). At one point many people piled aboard for a discussion with
                    > > wine in hand. I counted 10 adults ... and we were perhaps a good 10
                    > > inches in the water than before the load. Cozy but doable. Not safe to
                    > > move though .... <GRIN> The enormous space shrinks rapidly when you
                    > > are living on it for days at a time though.
                    >
                    > --
                    > John (jkohnen@...)
                    > Many a man has fallen in love with a girl in light so dim he would not
                    > have chosen a suit by it. (Maurice Chevalier)

                    > <*> Your email settings:
                    > Individual Email | Traditional
                    >
                    > <*> To change settings online go to:
                    > (Yahoo! ID required)
                    >
                    > <*> To change settings via email:
                    > Michalak-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    > Michalak-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    > <*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
                    > http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

                  • John Kohnen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 18, 2014
                      I'll bet the Jewelbox, Jr. could drink 10. Eight inside (cabin 8' long, 2'
                      width per person) and one each sitting on each deck with their feet
                      inside. Bet she'd sink down a bit with that load! <g> And it'd be a crowd.
                      Could probably sail OK with six, but four is quite nice, with room to
                      stretch your legs and move around.

                      http://www.boat-links.com/images/SageAtPT-2008-2.jpg

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 18, 2014
                        John, you've got me thinking. . a stress factor any day. I actually went and measured the benches in the Pram just now. They are 4'6" long. We had 3 on each bench (6) plus there were a couple lounging on the floor and one sitting on the companionway steps. Another on the rear deck with feet hanging inside close to the cheese plate. Uncouth bunch. I guess there was room for one or two more but the ballast was beginning to exceed the buoyancy. When Big Dave, a retired Coastee, showed up I said "No way" but somebody passed him a glass of whatever was on tap at the moment. He's gotta weigh in at  over 250 lbs. He is a really big guy and that could have been the tipping  point in more than one way. What a great evening, you can't plan your surprise parties. Howard Rice called my boat the Community Center ..

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 20, 2014

                          I used the foam insulation board yesterday when cutting the bottom panels.  Worked great!  Much better than using plywood underneath.