Leeboard Guards for AF3

  • ralph.bush
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2014

      Okay, I admit it. I am stumped. I am building an AF3 and am at the point that I am starting to work thru forming and mounting the leeboard guards. I understand that they must be parallel to the centerline on the boat, I just can't figure out how to do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • jhargrovewright2@juno.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2014
        I would tack two boards across the gunnels sticking out a few inches on the leeboard side.  Stretch a string line from bow to center of transom.  Measure out from the centerline to the leeboard guard.  That establishes the line parallel to the keel of the boat. With a framing square you can project down to the bolt pivot or whatever.  Did that help?  JIB

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2014

          I'm building a Mayfly and am at the same point. I clamped lumber separately to the decktop along the back coaming of the front hatch, and along the front coaming of the aft hatch. These  extend off the right side of the boat. I marked each piece of lumber with measurements from the deck centerline marks.

          Next, I clamped straight lumber fore and aft across the 2 prior pieces of lumber. I located the edge of this lumber along the widest part of the gunnel, adjusted its the ends on the 2 supports so that they are equidistant from the centerline, and clamped the board in place.  Now I have an edge that I can drop a vertical level or a plumb bob from to locate the leeboard guard cuts. I have not yet completed the construction of the guards  and have not made the cuts.

          I'm not a t home, can't post a picture right now, will try to do so when I can. Hope this helps.

          Steve

        • Joseph Stromski
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2014
            Some helpful info directly from Jim's mouth:
            http://www.jimsboats.com/15sep12.htm

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2014

              Steve, you haven't posted to your website since July! What gives? I started my Mayfly12 back in May, and I may beat you to the finish :) I know it's less boat (hopefully half as much by weight). And I don't think I'm building mine as nice as yours.

              Ralph, you should buy a copy of Jim's book!

              - Tyson

            • scast101
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 8, 2014

                Hi, Tyson:

                You beat me to the finish! 60-hour works weeks have seriously slowed me down (It's past 8 PM and I'm still at the office). Also, I've got several concurrent elements of the boat underway simultaneously, none finished enough to publish. However, I posted an entry about casting a rudder weight in September - link below - and will soon post an entry on mast-making.

                Steve

                http://stevebuildsaboat.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/casting-a-rudder-weight/

              • mayfly726
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 8, 2014
                  Oh yeah, I forgot about that post. And my condolences to you on the 60 hour weeks, I haven't had one of those in a while. I'm getting soft... But don't think I've beaten you to the finish, I just took a shortcut. There's no reason you couldn't throw yours in the water and row around, and if you did it would look a lot more like a real boat than mine does.