Mayfly 14 mast step and partner question

  • brianmgraham2002
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2013
      Jim, when I pop a line from bow to stern the line falls about 5/8" off the center measurement if the front bulkhead, about 1/2" off the aft bulkhead. I'm ready to mount the mast step and partner and can't figure if I should keep center of forward bulkhead or in the line that I ran. How will this affect the boats sailing ability and balance? Is it a big deal? I'm thinking about splitting the difference (about 5/16") and calling it good. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks
    • John Boy
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 21, 2013
        I'm not Jim but I've stayed in a HoJo and built a few boats before. It's pretty much impossible to build a square instant boat or any wooden boat. The average person can spot an eighth misalignment. Put the mast step in so it's visually pleasing and don't worry about it. Another words, center on the bulkhead and sail it like you stole it. You won't be able to tell the difference.
        John Boy

        ------------------------------
        On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 11:39 PM CST brianmgraham2002@... wrote:

        >Jim, when I pop a line from bow to stern the line falls about 5/8" off the center measurement if the front bulkhead, about 1/2" off the aft bulkhead. I'm ready to mount the mast step and partner and can't figure if I should keep center of forward bulkhead or in the line that I ran. How will this affect the boats sailing ability and balance? Is it a big deal? I'm thinking about splitting the difference (about 5/16") and calling it good. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks
      • jmichalsbrown
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 21, 2013

          Many Michalak designs have masts WAY offset.  (I sail one myself.)  A few eights of an inch athwartship either way is nothing.  But fore-and-aft mast position is much more important, since it affects the balance of forces around the leeboard and rudder.

        • Andres Espino
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 21, 2013
            Yes O ;ole Musicbox and you can walk past the mast and there is a bording ladder on the bow  LOL

            Bolger did it too sometimes and Michalak follows a lot of Bolger ideas.  I remember I was shocked to see the mizzen in the stern stb corner instead of on the centerline in Bolger boats  LOl

            Andrew

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 23, 2013
              Dear Group, Andrew Here,

              Wishing everyone a very Happy Holiday Season with my favorite animated Christmas card..

            • daniel brown
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 23, 2013
                thank you andres for the card and your participation in the site. i enjoy your posts
                dan in port royal

                To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                From: ima_very_cool_cowboy@...
                Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 08:11:32 -0800