Mixer against piccup

  • jsleslie66
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 17, 2013
      Is Piccup Pram that much better than mixer? I make that assumption based on popularity.There are very few Mixers that I can find online and lots of Piccups. Seems like the performance would be similar.

      I have never sailed but I find myself obsessed with building a sailboat and teaching myself to sail. I bought Jim Michalak's book and am reading that now. Anybody sailed both to compare performance and stability?
      Mixer seems like it would fit on a roof rack better.
      Mixer should have less splash in choppy conditions.
      Mixer is likely lighter.
      Any ideas or suggestions?
    • daniel brown
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 17, 2013
        mixer is pretty : ) love the vertical stem and graceful lines. one of my favorite designs

        To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 17, 2013
          I love it too, but decided on its big brother Woobo.

          Sent from my iPhone

          To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 17, 2013
            Jim's comments comparing Mixer to Piccup sound about right. I would expect the 6" difference in beam would make it feel a bit less stable, and it would not have quite as much leg room when seated facing sideways (which is most of the time). If much of your sailing will be done in serious choppy water the pointed bow might be a bit drier, but almost all small boats are wet boats in conditions like that. If avoiding a trailer is a priority for you, and you expect to sail mostly in protected waters, Piccup Squared would be another one you might consider. It's the same width as Mixer, but its flat bottom and flared sides makes for a very comfortable cockpit. It also might be a bit quicker and easier to build.

            It's wise to carefully consider how and where the boat will be used. Once you you get down to a manageable list of designs, my advice is to then choose the boat that keeps haunting your dreams.

            Best,
            Anders

          • John Trussell
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 17, 2013

              I’ve not sailed a Piccup, but I have a Mixer. Mixer is 6” narrower and has a pointed ends. It probably rows better than Piccup but has significantly less volume. I would guess that Piccup has more initial stability than Mixer. It should be noted that both boats are fairly light and that the addition of crew weight makes either boat heavily ballasted. I think I would feel comfortable standing in Piccup—Mixer, not so much.

              Jim has a lot of small boats. If I were doing again, I think I would look hard at his Seal Cove Skiff with a Mixer rig and leeboards. Seal Cove’s flat bottom adds stability and provides more comfortable seating. None of these little boats will be very fast under sail or oars and performance differences will be minimal.

              Have fun.

              JohnT

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 17, 2013

                Thanks John I took another look at seal cove,I hadn't really considered it as a sailing option because Jim did not have that designed in to that boat plan. That's another cool boat.

              • jsleslie66
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 17, 2013

                  Bruce If it wasn't for the trailer woobo would be my first choice.

                • jsleslie66
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 17, 2013

                    Hey Anders thanks for the response. I don't have a lot of room to store a trailered boat under cover. I could provide dry storage for a cartopper. I live in western Oregon and I hate to just throw a tarp over the boat . I am about 45 minutes from the columbia river, my best chance for consistent wind, of course it can get pretty ugly out there.I would like a boat that is seaworthy enough to get me to shore if the wind picks up.

                    If my wife enjoys this first boat I can give it to her and build a bigger one in a few years.

                  • Andre
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 18, 2013
                      In my opinion both are too heavy to cartop. Mixer narrower beam would be better to cartop.

                      Andre
                      Sussa - Piccup Pram
                      Http://umveleirosimples.blogspot.com.br

                      jsleslie66@... escreveu:

                      Hey Anders thanks for the response. I don't have a lot of room to store a trailered boat under cover. I could provide dry storage for a cartopper. I live in western Oregon and I hate to just throw a tarp over the boat . I am about 45 minutes from the columbia river, my best chance for consistent wind, of course it can get pretty ugly out there.I would like a boat that is seaworthy enough to get me to shore if the wind picks up.

                      If my wife enjoys this first boat I can give it to her and build a bigger one in a few years.

                    • Grover Pagans
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 18, 2013
                        Want to buy michalik leeboard
                        Camp cruiser
                        361-4429351

                        Sent from my iPhone
                      • Joe Stromski
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 18, 2013
                          I've got a Mixer on a trailer out in the driveway, and I honestly can't see how anyone could cartop it.

                          Season's Best,
                          Joe
                          On 12/17/2013 11:19 PM, jsleslie66@... wrote:
                          ��

                          Thanks John I took another look at seal cove,I hadn't really considered it as a sailing option because Jim did not have that designed in to that boat plan. That's another cool boat.

                        • OnEvenKeel
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 18, 2013
                            I used to cartop that boat!  Buying that trailer was a good idea...

                            TJH

                            On Dec 18, 2013, at 6:27 PM, Joe Stromski <j.stromski@...> wrote:

                            I've got a Mixer on a trailer out in the driveway, and I honestly can't see how anyone could cartop it.

                            Season's Best,
                            Joe

                            On 12/17/2013 11:19 PM, jsleslie66@... wrote:
                            ��

                            Thanks John I took another look at seal cove,I hadn't really considered it as a sailing option because Jim did not have that designed in to that boat plan. That's another cool boat.

                          • chrispychrispy2000
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 18, 2013

                              One would pick it up and put it on a rack.  It weighs 90 LBS what is the problem with car topping a Mixer.  I put an 80 LBS canoe on my car for decades by myself.