Tyvek boat covers

  • footstepfollower64
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 15, 2013
      Has anyone used tyvek to construct their own boat covers? It is supposed to be waterproof and breathable, and I know there are professionally made covers available.

      Is tyvek available without the house wrap logo on it? Is there a different type available more suited to boat covers, and is it readily available? I am primarily thinking of covers for canoes and kayaks stored on racks in the yard, not for trailering.

      Easy to sew, or do you use tyvek tape for seams, adding elastic, etc.
    • Jake Peters
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2013
        I had a Tyvek cover for a small decked canoe I own. I found that it did not hold up that well - I think because of UV light.

        Jake

        On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM, <footstepfollower@...> wrote:

        Has anyone used tyvek to construct their own boat covers? It is supposed to be waterproof and breathable, and I know there are professionally made covers available.

        Is tyvek available without the house wrap logo on it? Is there a different type available more suited to boat covers, and is it readily available? I am primarily thinking of covers for canoes and kayaks stored on racks in the yard, not for trailering.

        Easy to sew, or do you use tyvek tape for seams, adding elastic, etc.

      • alan enlow
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 16, 2013
          Makes sense, the house wrap is intended to be covered with house siding and therefore there would be no need to make it UV resistant. Blue polytarps are designed to be outside in the elements and sun. You should get a couple of years out of a cover made from one, I would think. Storing the covered boat out of direct sunlight, in the shade should extend the life. In general usage I have gotten a couple year out of one at least.

          My 2 cents,

          Alan

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2014
            I think the silver tarps may be more sun resistant, or at least they're supposed to be. At one time I was considering getting camouflaged tarps to cover my boat, which was surrounded by trees. I figured it would be less of an eyesore that way.

            I think canvas is supposed to be more uv resistant, isn't it? And, of course, it breathes. In an application where it doesn't move all that much, I should think a coat of house paint would make it last a long time, even in the sun. It would still breath a little.

            In any case, I think it's probably a good idea to provide vents, no matter how well the material is supposed to breath.