philsboat

  • robert
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 25, 2013
      i would like to here more about philsboat-it sounds like what i need.i have already built picara-its too much boat just for 1 person in bad weather
    • creditscorenz
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 25, 2013

        I would like to hear more about Picara.  I've often thought it's just the boat I need for 1 person in bad weather.

        Sorry, Robert, but I just couldn't resist, since it sounds like if we could swap boats, we would both be happy.  Problem is... I'm in New Zealand and I think you're probably in the US.

        If you do a search on Philsboat on this list, you will find my comments about it popping up here and there. In short, while it's pretty good at handling strong conditions with two people aboard, as designed, it's too light for 1 person, when things get rough. That's why I'm surprised to hear you say that Picara is a handful.  I thought they are very heavy boats. In fact, of all Jim's boats, Picara would be the most suitable for going offshore, I would have thought.

        Cheers,

        Rob

      • rvwburg@att.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 25, 2013
          my  main proble is it being too heavy between the ballast weight and not having enough room on the small lakes we have here-i will try it out in the ocean this spring and let you no how it handles then

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 25, 2013
            i have one lake here thats 9 miles long-if it gets warm enough i will try it out there

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 25, 2013
              Picara has a draft of 10 inches with the board up and Philsboat about 7 inches, so not much difference there.  Not sure how deep Picara's board goes, but Philsboat's maximum draft with board down is 2' 10"

              Of course, Philsboat is a little under 1/2 Picara's weight, so I imagine that launch time could be hard work for one person.

              But how does Picara sail?  Surely, you have lots of room in the cabin to stretch out?  On the other hand she is a cabin boat, so you'll get much colder when sailing her.  That's what my friends go on and on about... how warm and shady it is inside Philsboat's cabin, while everyone else is togged up in wet weather gear and getting sunburnt at the same time.

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 26, 2013
                she is fast  under full sail and a lot of fun to sail-large cabin with plenty of room

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2014
                  what size do you make the motor well
                • creditscorenz
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 7, 2014

                    My rear deck has the port side rear corner cut out of it, 12.25 inches forward from the transom and 20.25 inches from the hull side to the centre.  These measurements include the port external sheer clamp, but not the transom clamp which is internal.  The well is JUST long enough for a Yamaha 2HP motor to tilt up. If you plan to mount a larger motor you will have to make the well longer, say 13.50 inches instead of 12.25 inches . The width of the well is probably not so important for the motor, but you do have to take into account your tiller range when designing it. If you make it too wide, because you are trying to centre the motor you will impede the tiller and perhaps have the rudder and propeller touching each other when the rudder is partly raised and the motor tilted up.

                    I always have water in my well when I'm sailing, but I never know how much, since when you go aft to look into it, it fills with water through the drainage hole!  When I first began sailing, this concerned me, since that part of the hull is not supporting the boat.  Now I no longer care.  I not sure whether its just serendipity, but it turns out that I can fit a 1.25 gallon petrol car in the bottom of the well and it doesn't interfere with the motor being tilted.  This means that all the stench and oils associated with the motor are kept out of the boat and stay in the well where they belong.