New Mayfly pics

  • Gene
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 16, 2013
      Hi All,

      I have seen a lot of activity lately about Mayfly 12's so thought I would post some pictures of my Mayfly 12 build. I modified mine with a V bottom and will try to show some good pics of that in the album. I am still learning Yahoo's changes so bear with me.

      Gene Berry
    • mayfly726
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2013
        I just saw your photos! Thanks for putting those up! The only ones I'd seen before were the photos on Duckworks and on Jim's page. Do you have any pictures of the details on the hatches or the sailing bits?I found an old article on Jim's site where he plugged Mayfly12 into Hullforms to look at weight and trim effects on drag and speed, and got some strange results that seemed to indicate the boat would be fastest trimmed with the bow way down and the stern up -http://www.jimsboats.com/webarchives/2007/15mar07.htmI would imagine the v bottom of yours changes the situation entirely, but do you notice any similar behavior?Tyson
      • Gene Berry
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 16, 2013
          Hi Tyson,

          I was not aware of Jim's findings but I can see why that would work. the narrowest section of the boat parting the water for the rest of the hull to slide through and that relatively wide rear end up out of the water cutting down on the drag. I have not tried anything like that with mine but that would be interesting to experiment with.

          my V bottom does change everything like you guessed. if I keep the boat flat and lightly loaded I only have the middle V in the water thus a faster boat, if I heel her over far enough (easily done) I still only have one chine in the water.

          I had so much fun building and sailing V fly I started building ver 2.0 but I made so many "improvements" it is going to be a whole different boat. I will be done with it very soon and hope to get some sailing tests done before the water freezes.

          as for sailing bits on V fly it is all the usual stuff per Jims plans except the leeboard. I had a Mic Storer Oz racer leeboard setting in the corner so pressed it into service.

          Gene Berry

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 25, 2013

                I'm definitely sticking to the prescribed flat bottom for this build, although contemplation of the merits of a shallow v bottom has caused me to give serious consideration to Skat for my next build.

                I posted a couple more pictures in the album. This weekend I managed to get a little more epoxy to fill in the fiberglass weave on the chines, and I used what was leftover to coat the bottom a bit. Then I glued and screwed the bottom panel stiffener on and filleted the edges. I also was able to connect the two fillet gaps in the cockpit that were left when I took out the temporary frame.

                It's getting close to being in shape for launch as a rowboat (I'm not patient enough to finish the sail rig before I launch it). I have a haphazard pair of 6 foot oars I've scrapped together, one is a salvaged aluminum and plastic oar and the other is an ugly scrapped together thing. I've got my 7 foot Michalak oars glued up, and one of them is partially shaped, but I will probably end up launching with my crappy set. The closest body of water to me is Soquel Creek in Capitola, which is a very picturesque place to row around (as I know from my Puddle Duck experiences). Also they just opened a new park on the Pajaro River which I checked out this weekend. It seems completely unused, and there's a 2 mile stretch of the river leading down to the river's mouth in the Monterey Bay that looks like it will be a great place to poke around.

                - Tyson

[...]

              • daschultz2000
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 26, 2013
                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, <mayfly726@...> wrote:

                  > ...(I'm not patient enough to finish the sail rig before I launch it)...

                  Yeah that's why I have decided when I build, to follow Michalak's advice to do the sail rig first. I will also do bolt on items like the rudder and lee board ahead of the hull also. They are easy to store, and they can be fully completed and checked off of the list.

                  They are then ready to use which is a satisfying thing to accomplish, plus it will build skills up for the larger scale chunk of the hull.

                  Don