RE: Frolic 2 ....as an open boat ??? any thoughts?

  • souderscott997
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 9, 2013

      jhargrove,

      No I have not considered that. My wife reminded me of a few times when we almost baked in the sun out on the lake in almost dead calms and stated she would like the cabin. Plus the pooch would have somewhere to go. Plus it would open the door to a possible camping trip now and again. Plus the long distance runs we are discussing like the Texas 200 for instance it would be very handy. It came down to more PLUS (pros) rather than cons. If I'm going to put it on I would opt for the added integrity of the panels all being solid. It's funny how I try to tweek things in my head constantly then realize there is a reason Jim is the designer...he already thought of most everything. There is another fact I left out and that is the little bit more space I wish the Wooboto had will actually be solved in just the open cockpit part of the boat. I am running out of reasons to try and make it an open design really.

      ---In michalak@yahoogroups.com, <jhargrovewright2@...> wrote:

      Scott, Have you considered making the cabin removable?  The space under the fore deck provides some storage and floatation and the seats could be used as storage and floatation. About eight bolts and a little caulk and little redundancy.......Just thinkin. JIB

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 10, 2013
        The slot top design Jim uses gives you the best of both worlds. Easy standing access all the way to the front of the boat, and with a canvas cover over the slot the dry security of a cabin.

        Have Fun,
        Joe

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 19, 2013

          Scott, I scull my 18' NormsBoat  for short distances, usually just to get to open water where I raise the sail. I find sculling with one oar over the stern and facing forward makes maneuvering much easier than with two oars and facing the stern. Frolic2 is more streamline than NormsBoat and should be even easier to scull or row.

          NormsBoat also has a slot top, which make single handing easier, especially when weighing anchor-- the tiller is only about 2 strides away.

          I have 2 canvas covers (actually sailcolth) for the slot. I put up the second one over the first if I am expecting hard rain, somewhat like a rain fly over a water proof tent.

          In a one-sail boat, one must be prepared to reef earlier, since there is no jib to drop. Likewise, the sail should be big enough to power the boat in the least wind you sail in. So, you may find yourself frequently with one reef, which is ok since the balance lug is still balanced when reefed. I sometimes put in one reef at a lower windspeed than needed just to reduce my boat speed, such as when I am dividing my time between boat handling and photographing.

          Have fun,

          Norm Wolfe