RE: RE: Need recommendation on mast attachment on piccup

  • scsbmsjoe
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2013

       I like to keep it simple. Why a block when a hole would do? Might be good to wrap a bit of glass where the hole goes. And relieve the hole so the line moves smoothly.

      Joe T

      ---In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, <michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I am certainly no expert but I built a Wooboto to plan details including the lug sail and rigging. For the lug the device will have to be mounted on the side of the mast (as in the port or starboard). I don't see how mounting from the stern (rear) side of the mast would work without causing issues with twisting in an unnatural sort of way. I guess once the sail was under a decent load it wouldn't be as much of an issue but it could cause problems at precarious times when you are lowering or raising your sail. I can say for sure that I thru bolted with washers just to sort of spread the load and I have been out in enough of a blow that my mast had a nice bend going and never so much as a crack. I am not sure that screws would have held. I can't say that with authority but with the mast literally bending that is a bunch of pull on some narrow threads as opposed to in effect several inches of the mast.

      Scott

      ---In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, <michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I'm down to the last piece of hardware on the piccup. I have a cheek block and also a block on a swivel that I could use on the top of the mast rather then drilling a hole thru it. I went with the larger Leeboard and sail plan for balanced lug. Not sure if I should mount cheek block on side of mast opposite of the yard or mount block on swivel on stern side of mast. Any advice would be appreciate. Looked at a few videos on you tube of pram but can't make out how they mounted hardware and if they thru bolted it or wood screws. thanks.

      Regards,
      Mike
    • Anders Bjorklund
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2013
        Amen!

        On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:45 AM, <scsbmsjoe@...> wrote:
         I like to keep it simple. Why a block when a hole would do? Might be good to wrap a bit of glass where the hole goes. And relieve the hole so the line moves smoothly.

      • rudder59
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 9, 2013

           Scott,

          What was the piece of  hardware that youreferred to when you said you thru bolted it?

          Mike

          ---In michalak@yahoogroups.com, <souderscott997@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Jeffrey Michals-Brown
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 9, 2013
            I second the idea of keeping to a hole through the mast (dumb sheave).  The only addition I would make is that--in my limited use of them--cheek blocks need a line feeding through at a narrow angle, or else the line will bind and wear.  The entry a halyard for a lug sail makes will be anything but narrow!

            Jeff Michals-Brown, Piccup Pram Bebe
          • souderscott997
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 9, 2013

              I actually just used an eye bolt and hung a block from it. Looking back I'm not sure the block is necessary at all. If I was going for a nicer finished look or something I would probably go with the dumb sheave installed into the top of the mast. It would just be a purely visual benefit but nothing from a functional standpoint that I can imagine.