LEEBOARD mounting

  • edixon193941
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2013

      Hi All

        JM  only shows mechanical fastening of leeboard guards to hull {screws/bolts}

              what I am wondering should also use glue/epoxy?

       My leeboard is 6 1/2 ft. in length/ 2  layers 1/2 " ply

      Eugene

    • creditscorenz
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2013

        So Eugene you are talking about fastening the upper guard to the underside of the wales? I would definitely do both. I did and don't regret it.  Usually Jim specifies four laminations of 1/4 inch ply epoxied together, rather than two 1/2 inch laminations for the upper guard.  I'm guessing his reasoning is because 1/4 inch ply is unlikely to have voids and so four of them laminated together will be stronger than two 1/2 inch sheets.

        My lower leeboard guard is only epoxied to the hull, no screws or bolts at all. In fact almost the entire boat is made from epoxy and fibreglass tape, the only exception being the decks where I used stainless screws and silicone sealant, in case I need to remove them in future for maintenance.

        Cheers,

        Rob.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, <michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hi All

          JM  only shows mechanical fastening of leeboard guards to hull {screws/bolts}

                what I am wondering should also use glue/epoxy?

         My leeboard is 6 1/2 ft. in length/ 2  layers 1/2 " ply

        Eugene

      • John Boy
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2013

          Mine are glued and lag screwed. I also filled in any gaps with thickened epoxy.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2013
            My lee board mounts are epoxied, thru-bolted & glassed to the hull. Haven't come off yet.

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 7, 2013
              Goodness I hope not, grin. Bulletproof as they get,  eh?
              Alan