Philsboat Camping Trip

  • creditscorenz
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2013
      Hi everybody, Just returned from a two night camping trip in Pelorus Sound, Marlborough Sounds, New Zealand.  Had planned to take some video and stills, but conditions were too taxing to allow me the time. Problem was I tried to cram in too much distance in too shorter time and ended up being stressed out rather than having fun.  Still a couple of things came to light that we've been discussing here lately regarding Birdwatcher cabins. 1.  I definitely do spend most of my time sitting inside the cabin and not on the decks for two reasons: a) Safety - its downright dangerous out there in anything other than still conditions.   With your weight so high, it would be very easy to capsize yourself into the water, particularly with passing power boat wakes. b) Comfort - keeping out of the sun and wind makes for a much more pleasant experience. 2.  While motoring is quite feasible with Philboat, she sails so much better and when going downwind, sailing in a breeze is much faster than motoring.  I had resigned myself to motoring all weekend, but through poor planning discovered that I would HAVE to sail to have any chance of getting back to Havelock without running out of fuel. All of this sailing needed to be done upwind.  Based on past experience I thought I had no chance.  This time though I put both my anchors and chain in the anchor well, rather than in the bottom of the boat - I haven't weighed it, but I'm guessing between 20 - 25 lbs right on the nose of the boat. I was pleasantly surprised at how well she went - definitely no Paradox, but after several hours of sailing, which incidentally was the best fun of the trip, I had clawed my way 5 miles to windward up the Pelorus Sound, enough to believe I had enough fuel left to make it home. Never saw anyone else sailing, perhaps because it was still officially winter, being 31 August, or is it that Birdwatcher cabin again? Cheers, Rob.