RE: [Michalak] Has it been done?

  • John Trussell
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2013
      I don't know if it has been done. There may be some issues. A) The object of
      a Birdwatcher cabin is to provide reserve stability (buoyancy) when the boat
      is rolled on her beam ends. Having an open top deck degrades this
      capability. B) Maintaining a water tight hinge when the top deck is lowered
      is likely to be a challenge, particularly since the cabin sides curve. C)
      The raised decks increase windage and may interfere with the bottom of the
      sail.

      While I admire Birdwatcher cabins for their reserve stability and the
      combination cabin/cockpit which allows crew weight in the center of the
      boat, I note that nearly all the pictures I've seen of Birdwatcher cabin
      boats under sail show the crew on the decks outside the cabin.

      JohnT

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
        Re.Sailing from in/outside the cabin.I for one prefer sailing from an open cockpit on side benches,rather than sitting on the floor of the cabin.

        -Sigurd Olson

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
          Thanks for the insights. It does seem hard to find a photo of someone
          actually steering from inside the cabin. Guess I'll have to bum a ride
          with someone in the Tampa area who has one before I commit...

        • Mark Albanese
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
            I do. Apart from sitting in the bilge as ballast and instead of sitting up
            on deck, sitting on a low cooler or ditty box helps the view forward quite
            a lot. To sense the wind in my face or to conn I direction I also spend a
            good deal of time up on my knees, which gets the eyes just above the cabin
            top.

            Combined with scrambling around on all fours at night this got a little
            hard on aging knees until covering the entire sole with the foam mats that
            come from HD or Harbor Freight. Much better!

            markA

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
              These are the mats lining the sole of my Jewelboxjr.
              http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

              They are fitted, then just fastened with carpet tape in pairs down the
              center line so as to allow airing by propping up the edges.

              Thinking it is like Ethafoam, but wouldn't swear to it.

              The HF version has a nice, tight cross hatch grid . The HD is ovalplate.

              So much easier on the bones than bare wood, but then we also carry an
              inflatable bed as well.

            • ezchat33
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 28, 2013
                Thanks for the link. I'll file it away in my big box of ideas.