Re: Cold Water and Hypothermia.

  • ezchat33
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 26, 2013

      >I have found though that once wool gets wet it takes
      > awhile to dry and is a lot heavier and bulkier compared to
      > polyester-based fleece especially when wet.

      There is a new type of Merino wool, developed in New Zealand, which does not hold water. It wicks water. It has come to be the preferred fabric for base and intermediate layers for serious outdoor work (and play). It is the best stuff yet made for that by far. It has amazing thermal regulating properties, keeping one warm but not too warm. I even wear the lightest weaves in T-shirts here in Tampa most of the year. It is not nearly as itchy as older wool weaves. It dries nearly as fast as polyester. It moves sweat to the outside away from one's skin preventing that clammy feeling. And it does not hold body odors like poly.