Re: Considering a set of bolt-on trimaran pontoons for Mixer.

  • graeme
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 23, 2013
      John, those links don't show hot. I don't know if that's the case in emails from the groups (I only signed for infrequent specials), but it's not when the post is read on the web page.

      Formerly if prefixed with "http//" then yahoo pages showed the address as ordinary text and you had to copy to or type it into your browser. When prefixed without the "http//", and just begun with "www." the address showed then as underlined, in blue text, and was hot.

      That's why I tried those various links out (sorry, deleted from the web posts but can't get the email back). None come out as hot now.

      Over at boatdesign group Peter recently posted that there's been some big changes in Yahoo group stuff as moderator he's got to come to terms with - and I believe he's an old hand at programming.

      I just dove into the group messages archive and all posted addies from years and years ago have similarly changed.

      Maybe it's like this whole stupid capture thing, and meant it's said to curtail dodgy practices, but... is a troublesome, bothersome interference for some/many common fair users?

      Graeme

      http://gofossilfree.org/

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

      > It's the "http://" that makes it hot link...
      >
      > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1883
      >
      > vs.
      >
      > www.duckworksbbs.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1883
      >

      > On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 20:20:05 -0700, graeme wrote:
      >
      > > Whatever happened to the hot link when written in yahoo messages as
      > > "www." ???
      > >

      > --
      > John (jkohnen@...)
      > I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the better for
      > it. (Abraham Lincoln)

    • John Kohnen
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 23, 2013
        The "http://" links are hot in emails from Yahoo, as they should be. It's
        odd that the links in the messages on the group Web pages used to act the
        opposite way from email conventions, with links that start with "http://"
        dead and those that started with "www" hot. I wonder why they did that?
        <shrug> And what they did with URLs that didn't start with "www"... It's
        annoying that none of the links work now. <sigh>

        I only ever read the group messages via email. Life's too short to be
        bumbling around Web pages reading messages...

        On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 19:24:33 -0700, graeme wrote:

        > John, those links don't show hot. I don't know if that's the case in
        > emails from the groups (I only signed for infrequent specials), but it's
        > not when the post is read on the web page.
        >
        > Formerly if prefixed with "http//" then yahoo pages showed the address
        > as ordinary text and you had to copy to or type it into your browser.
        > When prefixed without the "http//", and just begun with "www." the
        > address showed then as underlined, in blue text, and was hot.

        John (jkohnen@...)
        If you lose the power to laugh, you lose the power to think. (Clarence
        Darrow)
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 24, 2013
          Seems Yahoo switched something about 2 weeks ago, so that hot links
          don't come through on the group pages no matter how they are posted.

          I don't receive any individual emails except for maybe 3 or 4 groups
          that post notices I want to be aware of - as I belong to too many
          boating groups. Bolger4 sale and such. And definitely do not want to
          receive summaries!

          So a cold link I just copy and paste to a new tab. Pain in the butt but
          seems the best option. And I really appreciate people who delete the
          bottom of their responses to only leave the item they are responding to.

          Nels

          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 24, 2013
            OTOH, life is too short to read lots of email. Scrolling through 30 web page messages at a time at leisure, and seeing the hot links noticeably displayed, especially when going back looking for some reference among the many diverging, digressing, or indeed on topic things was efficient... and snipped or lengthy unsnipped.

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

            > I only ever read the group messages via email. Life's too short to be
            > bumbling around Web pages reading messages...
          • Andres Espino
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 25, 2013
              In Yahoo mail you now have to highlight it and click the link icon and enter the link typing or pasting it and then it appears HOT.  Otherwise it sometimes works and sometimes (usually) doesn't.

              The PLUS is that you now can enter very long links like that and they work.  perhaps length is why some do not convert to working links automatically?  not sure.

              Andrew

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 25, 2013
                To each their own. Thank goodness we're all different. <g> I find going
                through filtered and threaded emails much, much quicker and easier than
                trying to read forums online. <shrug>

                On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 18:22:37 -0700, graeme wrote:

                > OTOH, life is too short to read lots of email. Scrolling through 30 web
                > page messages at a time at leisure, and seeing the hot links noticeably
                > displayed, especially when going back looking for some reference among
                > the many diverging, digressing, or indeed on topic things was
                > efficient... and snipped or lengthy unsnipped.
                >
                > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I only ever read the group messages via email. Life's too short to be
                >> bumbling around Web pages reading messages...

                --
                John (jkohnen@...)
                Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt. (Clarence
                Darrow)