Re: [Michalak] Mutineers and Park Rangers

  • John Kohnen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23 5:37 PM
      A bit of brass rod is better than an old nail for a shear pin, but if
      there's an outboard dealer or shop anywhere near, you should pick up some
      real shear pins. They're cheap. For my Honda 2 I don't go to the Honda
      $tore, I just use pins for a Johnnyrude 3-4 that I get cheap at an
      outboard shop.

      Brass rod bends when you hit something, possibly jamming the propeller on.
      :o( A real shear pin may bend a little, but it'll break with a hard hit
      and not jam. A punch and hammer will get a broken pin out, but sometimes
      you need to file the broken end of the pin. One should always carry spare
      shear pins, an appropriate punch, a small hammer and a small file in ones
      boat. Do as I say, not as I do. ;o)

      You motor may vibrate a bit from the damaged propeller, but don't worry
      about it if it isn't bad. I just replaced the propeller on my "big" boat's
      motor, a 9.9 high thrust with a very expensive 4-blade propeller. I'd spun
      the rubber hub by hitting something. :o( Boy! The motor sure runs
      smoothnow now! :o) Smoother than it ever has since I got the boat, which
      means that the PO wasn't too careful about where he was going either. <g>
      There was no visible damage to the prop blades, but apparently they were a
      little bit off...

      Getting your propeller repaired is a lot cheaper than buying a new
      propeller. That's what I would have done, but I needed instant
      gratification.

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      Let us enrich ourselves with our mutual differences. (Paul Valery)