RE: [Michalak] Jim's Latest Newletter

  • John Trussell
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2013
      Nels,

      My old Bolger Sweet Pea is older than that and was put together with AC
      exterior plywood and polyester resin. It is still around and has been
      repainted a couple of times I'm pretty sure it has been stored outside,
      upside down on either saw horses or its trailer (The entire bottom was
      fiberglssed, usinf polyester resin. The "footballs" in the ply have printed
      through the fiberglass and there is a bubble where a void wasn't caught (bad
      builder! No cookie!), but the boat is still sound and functional.

      AC plywood isn't what it used to be, but if I had to scrimp, I think it
      would be better to use polyester resin (I know epoxy is a superior product
      and I know polyester resin is not a glue) and buy better plywood. Meranti is
      the cheapest of the "marine plywoods". For a small (4 sheet, quarter
      inc/6mm plywood boat), I think you could build a meranti, polyester resin,
      stitch and glue boat for not much more than an AC ply/epoxy, stitch and glue
      boat. Anyone planning such a boat might want to price it out. Incidentally,
      about 30-40,000 Mirror Dinghies were built with polyester resin and many of
      them are still around.

      JohnT

      _____