Jim's Latest Newletter

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2013
      http://jimsboats.com/ <http://jimsboats.com/>

      Excerpt, I found interesting:

      "...and my Roar2, now 23 years old. The lake has dropped 2' since the
      AF4 photo giving us even more mud but the level is almost back within
      the normal banks. The Roar2 needs a few repairs but the exterior plywood
      is totally fine as are the old polyester resin taped seams!"

    • John Trussell
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2013
        Nels,

        My old Bolger Sweet Pea is older than that and was put together with AC
        exterior plywood and polyester resin. It is still around and has been
        repainted a couple of times I'm pretty sure it has been stored outside,
        upside down on either saw horses or its trailer (The entire bottom was
        fiberglssed, usinf polyester resin. The "footballs" in the ply have printed
        through the fiberglass and there is a bubble where a void wasn't caught (bad
        builder! No cookie!), but the boat is still sound and functional.

        AC plywood isn't what it used to be, but if I had to scrimp, I think it
        would be better to use polyester resin (I know epoxy is a superior product
        and I know polyester resin is not a glue) and buy better plywood. Meranti is
        the cheapest of the "marine plywoods". For a small (4 sheet, quarter
        inc/6mm plywood boat), I think you could build a meranti, polyester resin,
        stitch and glue boat for not much more than an AC ply/epoxy, stitch and glue
        boat. Anyone planning such a boat might want to price it out. Incidentally,
        about 30-40,000 Mirror Dinghies were built with polyester resin and many of
        them are still around.

        JohnT

        _____