OS Enigma / Robbsboat (Re: Shop Setup (long post!))

  • joe_mapango
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 6, 2013
      Hello Graeme. I'm not sure which version. I have a bunch of printouts and a metric "plan" showing the 12 footers side and bottom. I'm not actually going to follow it exactly. I'm going to make the sides exactly 12 feet long, so the boat will be just less than that. Primarily to reduce parts count. That way both sides could be cut from 3 sheets of ply, with one sheet cut in half and scarfed.

      I don't dislike Robbsboat. I actually built one to more than 1/2 finished and then gave it away. I'm looking for something that I can store easily. As is I have to pay to moor my cat, and to store my trailer sailor too. The reality is that I should get rid of both out of disuse. My hope is I can store the OS Enigma at home and sail more often because it will be easy to deploy.

      I think many small boats could be decked over for good effect.
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "graeme" <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

      > Which Enigma is it? (bigger? iirc there's about 4 versions now). What didn't you like about the Robbsboat then? How come JM hasn't done a Enigma take? I've always thought Bolger's June Bug could be modified into one: increase side height and decks, maybe a little more rocker as Bolger suggested was an option, and maybe another rig. Anyway, JM, PCB, OS: If ya like I'd contribute towards a pooled designer's fee.

      It never occurred to me to ask Jim to pen something up. I'm good to contribute too. Lets see if we have any other takers?

      Chris

      > Graeme
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "joe_mapango" <ccurtis-keyword-sailing.6d3753@> wrote:
      > >
      > My goal is to reduce the OS Enigma design down to the least number of parts possible. Setting up the cabin like Robbsboat gives more interior room, more buoyancy high up (to resist turtling) and also greatly reduces the time/parts needed to create the "house". If anyone wants to make suggestions, feel free to do so. Once I'm done, I'll put out a set of copyleft plans for all to use (if they want!).

    • kayaker37
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 27, 2013
        I had them give me a quote back in October:

        "- Design as per www.fastcomposites.ca scaled to 0.7826 as per customer specifications

        - Manufactured with CNC milled wood core, epoxy/carbon/glass vacuum bag laminate,

        faired and painted in high gloss white

        Price: Enigma 360 rudder = $490 CDN

        Packaging & handling (cardboard) = $70 CDN"