Re: [Michalak] Re: Plywood thickness... What does it effect?

  • Andres Espino
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 3, 2013
      meant to spell dory*

      ________________________________
      From: Andres Espino <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...>
      To: "Michalak@yahoogroups.com" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, August 3, 2013 8:51 PM
      Subject: Re: [Michalak] Re: Plywood thickness... What does it effect?

      Yes... years ago we Boy Scouts built a 19 foot banks sory which we rowed and sailed all over Portsmouth NH Harbor and as far as 5 miles out sometimes.  This was bedore plywood was as common and it was a planked boat.  It would totally float on the surface when swamped and there was no added floatation.  To sail her a mast was dropped thru a hole in a forward seat and lug rigged.  We would put rocks or later on sandbags in the bottom on the floor for ballast.  The idea was if we capsized the rocks would fall out and allow the boat to float/  At least twice we boys had that unpleasant experience and from the water bailed out the righted boat with a bucked and like rats climbed back aboard.  Too tender without ballast we had to row back home  LOL

      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 6, 2013
        Well I appreciate all the feed back on the topic. Jim gave his blessing for the thicker bottom and the responses seem that the positive far outweigh the negatives. I think I've made up my mind.
        Thanks to all,
        Scott