Re: [Michalak] Re: Plywood thickness... What does it effect?

  • Anders Bjorklund
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 1, 2013
      Well, the discussion got sidetracked into some minute details that probably
      aren't worth clarifying. But I think you get the point I was trying to make
      (for some silly reason). If you use thicker plywood on the bottom of the
      boat that is built over a defined internal framework, the extra thickness
      increases the external volume of the boat. That generally increases its
      available carry capacity. But the extra plywood also adds weight, which
      reduces the carrying capacity. There should be a net gain, because plywood
      is less dense than the water it displaces.

      I can see why the statement of mine that you quoted below caused confusion.
      But extra external volume could conceivably be added to the hull in an area
      that would never be submerged. Like on the transom, or high on the bow. In
      that case it wouldn't increase the hull's carrying capacity. It would only
      add weight, which would reduce the available carrying capacity. Does that
      help to clarify anything Andre? It's really just a bit of trivia, anyway.

      Cheers,
      Anders

      On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 6:33 PM, abasso5 <basso.asb@...> wrote:

      > Maybe I have missed some messages on the subject. If it is the case please
      > forgive me.
      >
      > Could please comment further on that statement ?
      >
      > "Only the extra thickness that is submerged will increase the carrying
      > capacity"
      >
      > On my thoughts the volume of water displaced is a function of the external
      > boundaries of the boat. Ideally, if we could build a boat with the thinnest
      > and lightest material possible (keeping that volume), the weight of the
      > boat could be neglected and all displacement capacity would be for carrying
      > crew and loads.
      >
      > With this (maybe mis)conception in mind I see no way of building a boat
      > with thicker plywood (that will replace air internally when compared to the
      > thinner plywood) and end up with larger loading capacity.
      >
      > Going further: If we keep the same interior volume, the thicker plywood
      > will expand the external volume and therefore displacement. Assuming the
      > material used floats, will enlarge carrying capacity for sure.

    • Scott Souder
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 6, 2013
        Well I appreciate all the feed back on the topic. Jim gave his blessing for the thicker bottom and the responses seem that the positive far outweigh the negatives. I think I've made up my mind.
        Thanks to all,
        Scott