Re: Plywood thickness... What does it effect?

  • abasso5
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 1, 2013
      Anders,

      Maybe I have missed some messages on the subject. If it is the case please forgive me.

      Could please comment further on that statement ?

      "Only the extra thickness that is submerged will increase the carrying capacity"

      On my thoughts the volume of water displaced is a function of the external boundaries of the boat. Ideally, if we could build a boat with the thinnest and lightest material possible (keeping that volume), the weight of the boat could be neglected and all displacement capacity would be for carrying crew and loads.

      With this (maybe mis)conception in mind I see no way of building a boat with thicker plywood (that will replace air internally when compared to the thinner plywood) and end up with larger loading capacity.

      Going further: If we keep the same interior volume, the thicker plywood will expand the external volume and therefore displacement. Assuming the material used floats, will enlarge carrying capacity for sure.

      Hope you enlighten me.

      All the best,

      Andre.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Anders Bjorklund <andersbjorklund5@...> wrote:

      > I should qualify my statement a bit: Only the extra thickness that is
      > submerged will increase the carrying capacity, which will be simultaneously
      > reduced by the weight of the extra wood that is not submerged. So if the
      > bottom is highly rockered and lightly loaded, it might be a wash. The
      > entire extra weight of wood will increase the boat's draft, however, and
      > will also need extra muscle to move about on land.
      >
      > Anders
      >
      > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Anders Bjorklund <
      > andersbjorklund5@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Yes, a thicker wood bottom increases the available carrying capacity a
      > > tiny bit, if the extra wood ends up on the outside of the designed hull
      > > shape, rather than on the inside. If the same bulkheads and internal
      > > framing structures are used without alteration, that will be the case.

    • Scott Souder
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 6, 2013
        Well I appreciate all the feed back on the topic. Jim gave his blessing for the thicker bottom and the responses seem that the positive far outweigh the negatives. I think I've made up my mind.
        Thanks to all,
        Scott