Bolger Afterthoughts - like after Featherwind (Re: Epoxy Vs: Polyester Resin.)

    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 31, 2013
      From what I understand epoxy interlinks more completely at the molecular
      level than polyester. Polyester links in long chains but the chains
      themselves do not interlink like epoxy does so definitely epoxy will
      give a stronger bond no matter what it is applied to.

      The point that Payson makes in his build book, is that polyester bonded
      well enough in his destruction tests that the outer wood plywood layer
      gave way while the poly/glass connection remained intact. Obviously
      because plywood is not linked together at the molecular level as
      strongly as the resins are. The plywood did not separate at the plywood
      glue line but just shredded off in splinters next to the polyester
      interface.

      My point has been when epoxy costs over 3 times as much as polyester,
      then it might be strong enough for me. As mentioned, poly is $32/gal
      epoxy $101 to $158/gal where I am. But I will still use epoxy where it's
      gluing strength is required, but not for glassing or filleting.

      The other issue often mentioned is that polyester is not as waterproof
      as epoxy. I guess it to be more waterproof than the plywood and just as
      waterproof as most exterior paints I know of. So in a boat mostly dry
      stored and not left on the water all season it should last awhile. As
      mentioned Payson had some boats over 20 years old and so does Jim. I
      have one over 10 years old and a previous one as well and the joints
      were solid but the water got in under the plywood where there was no
      glass.

      But if a builder feels the extra cost in using epoxy instead is felt
      warranted then that is the best choice no doubt.

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Andres Espino wrote:

      > Epoxy bonds well to Polyester but Polyester does not bond to
      epoxy. This chemical bnd occurs while the catelatic action is
      happening so i guess the chemicals in epoxy are more versitile or
      something.

      > Andrew

      Epoxy Vs: Polyester Resin.)

      > Thank you all for the comments.
      >
      > One last question. How well does epoxy adhere to polyester? I assume
      I would glass the bottom before putting on the skids, so I doubt I could
      use tightbond III to glue the skids to polyester, which leaves only
      epoxy to put them on.