Re: [Michalak] Re: Plywood thickness... What does it effect?

  • Anders Bjorklund
    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 30 8:49 AM
      I should qualify my statement a bit: Only the extra thickness that is
      submerged will increase the carrying capacity, which will be simultaneously
      reduced by the weight of the extra wood that is not submerged. So if the
      bottom is highly rockered and lightly loaded, it might be a wash. The
      entire extra weight of wood will increase the boat's draft, however, and
      will also need extra muscle to move about on land.

      Anders

      On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Anders Bjorklund <
      andersbjorklund5@...> wrote:

      > Yes, a thicker wood bottom increases the available carrying capacity a
      > tiny bit, if the extra wood ends up on the outside of the designed hull
      > shape, rather than on the inside. If the same bulkheads and internal
      > framing structures are used without alteration, that will be the case.

    • Scott Souder
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 6, 2013
        Well I appreciate all the feed back on the topic. Jim gave his blessing for the thicker bottom and the responses seem that the positive far outweigh the negatives. I think I've made up my mind.
        Thanks to all,
        Scott