Re: letting buoyancy chambers breath?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2013
      My thinking is that if you build the hatch covers according to Jim's
      instructions (secured with shock cord) there should never be a problem.
      As air pressure builds up in the flotation chamber, the cover should
      raise up slightly and release the hot air pressure long before the
      seams blow. Then once out on the water the air will likely cool and
      contract, locking the hatch cover even tighter.

      Always best to have lighter colored boat decks, but not blinding white.

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy wrote:

      > I live in the FL Panhandle and I've never had a problem. Â I
      normally store my boats with the deck plates open to promote air
      circulation. Â Come to think of it, I just remembered to open my
      deckplate in my bow compartment. Â It's been installed since May.
      Â No factor.
      > John BoyÂ

    • John
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2013
        I have only seen the need to vent air chambers on 1 type boat, the Olympic Class Tornado built by the Gougeon Brothers in the mid 1970's. In the first Tornado they build there was an expansion failure when the air in the hull heated up and broke/sheared a piece of blocking at some cross bracing deep inside the hull. These boats were built so precisely no inspection ports were installed at the factory because they didn't leak. The solution was a very small aluminum vent alum tube, 1/16 ID, installed and hidden inside the front beam so the air pressure could equalize. The tube was considered so small that in the event of capsize the hydrostatic pressure could not overwhelm the air pressure inside the hull.

        When inspection ports were installed later we took to "burping" the hulls by opening the inspection ports to equilize the air after the boat was launched. We were carefull to do this when the boat had been sitting in a hot parking lot and then getting tossed into really cold water like Lake Ontario. This "burping" helped the air chamber vent do it's job faster.

        As for my homebuilt Goat Island Skiff and Hapscut where my hatches are homebuilt and are nowhere near as tight as a Gougeon built boat, I don't worry about it.

        JDG