Re: Bad glass fiber for the Ladybug

  • Matti Asikainen
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 19, 2013
      Tom,
      I´m not sure if I got what the peel-ply method is but I maybe I tried
      something of that sort. I set a strip of plastic on the saturated seam and
      ran over with a rubber roller and a small cleaning brush but it didn´t help
      much (IMG 3). The problem is that when spreading epoxy on the tape of FG
      mat the topmost fibers stick to the brush and get piled up as a mess.

      Matti

    • Matti Asikainen
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 19, 2013
        Tom,
        (it looks like I sent you a draft. here is the whole text)
        I´m not sure if I got what the peel-ply method is but maybe I tried
        something of that sort. I set a strip of plastic on the saturated seam and
        ran over with a rubber roller and a small cleaning brush but it didn´t help
        much. The problem is that when spreading epoxy on the tape cut from FG mat
        the topmost fibers stick to the brush and get piled up as a mess. I also
        tried to dap epoxy lightly with a brush and spead it with a mortar trowel.
        That worked somehow but if the result was not perfect on the first stroke
        the fibers started to stick on the trowel too.

        Chuck Leinweber and Martin say that polyester doesn´t stick properly on
        plywood and Chuck doesn´t recommend it at all on stich-and-glue seams.
        Well, maybe I could use it in the seams inside of the hull once the
        outside becomes quite strong. I´m making two layers and the mat is quite
        heavy / thick, 450 g/m2. I have loads of that mat and some polyester at
        home so I wouldn´t need to buy so much FG cloth and epoxy.

      • Tom Barclay
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 19, 2013
          Matti, the 'peel-ply' method involves placing a layer of sacrificial fabric
          over the epoxy-saturated fibreglas. It's squeegeed down to remove excess
          epoxy and to smooth the glass. As the matrix hardens, the peel-ply is
          pulled off, leaving a smoothed-out seam.

          Other folks here will describe this in better detail for you, I'm sure.

        • Martin Houston
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 19, 2013
            I have to say ditch the polyester & mat. We get so much labor & other costs in our boats it only makes sense to use epoxy & cloth. You will have a better boat in the end & you will like it so much better. I like destruction tests. Glass a piece of ply with poly & mat, & another with epoxy & cloth. Then take a pickax to the panels. Then decide.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 19, 2013
              Exactly so. And mat will take about 4 times the resin.

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 22, 2013
                Yep, now I´ve got FG cloth and cut strips from it. To brush is easy as
                making hey and I need a quarter or a third of epoxy and hardly any sanding.
                I still have 6 litres of polyester and extra plywood and I plan to make a
                rowboat (Dory) and a "simbo" for netfishing in far away lakes. They don´t
                need to last forever, I´m already 62 years old. See Free Finnish Boat Plans
                at Hannu´s Boatyard http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/#XX2

                I will put a woodoo spell on the dealer who sells only FG mat and epoxy.