Re: Steve's Mayfly 14 Build

    Message 1 of 96 , Jul 8, 2013
      Generally speaking, all deck mountings are screwed in place from
      underneath in traditional boat building. The screws also act as clamps
      to tighten the joints until the glue dries. If you really want to get
      fancy, hollow the bottom of the coaming surfaces a bit rather than
      leaving them flat. That will really lock in the glue and prevent
      squeeze-out wastage. This can be done with a small angle grinder just
      held at the proper angle to not touch the outer edges or even some
      coarse sand paper secured to a rounded block.. This can also be done
      with rubbing strips or any solid timber attached to a plywood surface
      clamped down with screws that will end up inside the hull. The screws
      can be removed after and the holes filled but if they are corrosive
      resistant can be left in even in - even in an open hull.

      But - I am a believer in solid fastenings in addition to glue. Not
      everyone is.

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Martin Houston wrote:

      > I always use screws. With just glue you are relying on just the 2
      surfaces glued. Screws are like roots, they anchor to solid wood. Try a
      destruction test, one with just glue & 1 with glue & screws. You will
      use screws too. If you glass it over you could probably get away without
      screws just depends on the loads you expect. I'm hard on equipment.
      > Martin

    • tom_burton
      Message 96 of 96 , Jul 6
        Scott-  this unrelated to Mayfly - I was curious about your IMB tabernacle mast and your experience with it.

        Could I email you directly?