Re: Another Sail-Plan Idea?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 2013
      Another book I found useful when looking into sail-plan ideas was this
      one.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/books/tradsails/index.htm
      <http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/books/tradsails/index.htm>

      I particularly found Dave's final chapter "Variations on Several Themes"
      to be of great interest, so the wheels are still turning in options for
      a small sail in a paddling design. Seems a sail with the mast well
      forward ahead of the cockpit is the way to go which narrows it to a
      lateen type or leg-o'-mutton with sprit boom. The lego of course
      requires a taller mast but it can be very lightly made if no halyard is
      used and a brail at the top to shorten sail. The Ljungstrom with no
      boom was reefed using a rotatable mast and of course can be opened up
      downwind. I think the luff is in a tight sleeve permanently attached to
      a similar light mast. Tended to "bag out" ahead of the mast going
      downwind.

      Nels
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" wrote:

      > Decided that last bright idea won't work!

    • Samantha Roberts
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2013
        Hi Nels,

        Oh, good... I had not yet figured the ins and outs of that idea anyway! ;-)

        Here's another brainstorm.  Are you familiar with the downwind sails George Dyson has used on baidarkas?  If not, just Google "baidarka" images and you will see a rig that looks like a pair of small batwing sails raised one on each side of a short mast.  It appears that each is rigged sort of like a sliding gunter.

        Now imagine working out the hardware so you can have a pair of sliding gunter sails on one mast and be able to raise either one or both as you wish (the simplest might be a leg-o'-mutton sail with yard and boom coming together at the tack with a sort of hinge fitting and gooseneck or parrel, so a single halyard raises the yard to vertical and fans out the sail at the same time).  To go to windward or reaching, set one or the other of the two sails without the complication of dealing with two sheets and locking the booms together.  For downwind, raise the second sail and wing them out.  One halyard and one sheet for each sail, plus some bungee cord to tie it down on deck.

        -- Sam

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3, 2013
          How about this... http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/grantglazer/Kayak/Hintssail.htm

          Tom

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 4, 2013
            Thanks Tom. I'm saving a copy of that as it looks pretty good! I think
            clear plastic sheet might work for a sail?

            Here is what I get when I Google "Kayak sail." Many similar looking to
            your link.

            http://www.google.ca/search?q=kayak+sail&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X\
            &ei=El_VUev1B-KbiAKBqIDAAg&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=635#tbm=isch&\
            sa=1&q=kayak+sail&oq=kayak+sail&gs_l=img.12...0.0.0.68630.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.\
            0..0.0...0.0.0..1c..17.img.29orxcQKp38&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608\
            ,d.cGE&fp=f24144f21daf57e1&biw=1366&bih=635