Paulsboat

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2013
      As mentioned previously, since joining an outdoors group that is into
      kayaking - and considering a Larsboat to have room for two- for a lot
      less money than a 2-person factory made model... and also considering
      having some sailing capability... I came across this DW article.

      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/13/designs/ccommission/index.htm#.UdQ71\
      flweSo
      <http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/13/designs/ccommission/index.htm#.UdQ7\
      1flweSo>

      This article I think would be of interest to all Michalak fans as it
      gives many insights into how Jim goes about the design process in
      working out the final decisions as they apply to the wish list of the
      initial proposal. In this case a sailing canoe able to carry sufficient
      supplies for an extended trip and perhaps even sleep aboard. It also
      points out how cooperative Jim is in working out a design. Mind you he
      knows the Moffit's will get 'er done and prove a prototype so he can get
      the plans on the market!

      Important points Jim made that caught my attention. You have to be
      nimble to operate a sailing canoe and not all his potential customers
      are necessarily nimble - which includes yours truly! You need more beam
      in one when sailing and that results in not so good using a double
      paddle. And of course they end up heavier than you may have wished for,
      with the necessary decking. So Paul ended up finding his design
      collaboration works best with a single paddle - which I am attracted to
      anyway and it ain't car "Toppable" but can be loaded into the back of a
      pick-up which also works for me. That leaves the nimble factor so maybe
      the LB with Trilars option may still be the best idea. Perhaps a tiny
      sail option when not carrying the Tri addition.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/paulsboat/index.htm
      <http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/paulsboat/index.htm>

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/larsboat/index.htm
      <http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/larsboat/index.htm>