Re: [Michalak] Mizzen

  • Martin Houston
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2013
      The mizzen was added, it is a supplement plan from the Wooboto. I do need to shift the mainsail forward as I have slightly too much weather helm. I also need a longer mast as I made it 14 ft. I couldn't get good 16 ft 2X4's at the time. Then I can move the lift place on the yard farther aft. I did shift the base of the mast aft 1/2 in by trimming off the back & adding a piece on the front. Helped some,  just need to extend the mast. You can get the mizzen plan from Jim Michalak for $15. I like the performance with the mizzen & it really helps when reefing but it does move the center of effort aft causing more weather helm. Might take some experimenting, you don't want lee helm at all as the boat will sail away if you fall off, with weather helm she will round up & go in irons. I think KaaNoo might run over me first. Don't know, haven't fell off yet. She is a work out holding her on the wind though.
      Martin

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2013
        Martin,

        Thanks for that insight. Also, thanks for the YouTube videos of your build. They are helpful and inspiring.

        Very curious about your removable slot top hatch too.
      • Martin Houston
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2013
          The hatch covers worked very good. I left the fwd one on as I can work the sail fine with it. The aft one hinges up & is removable, stores alongside the mast. I didn't use in the Texas 200 but would have if it had rained heavily.