RE: [Michalak] Re: Mayfly 14, Piccup Squared, or ?

  • John Trussell
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 28 9:38 AM
      My thoughts on boat size stem from the available floor space in different
      sized boats. Most 8 ft boats have the buoyancy to carry at least two people,
      but, particularly with decks on either end, they will be sitting on top of
      each other. Moving around the boat will be a hassle and sailors frequently
      find it useful to shift crew weight. A 12 ft pram obviously has 50 per cent
      more floor space than an 8 footer and about as much space as a 14 or 15 foot
      boat with a pointed end.

      One way to guesstimate how much a finished boat will weigh is to determine
      how many sheets of plywood it will use. A lot of shorter boats use up the
      same number of sheets as longer boats. If you’re going to use 4 sheets of
      plywood and join two sheets together, I think it makes sense to build the
      biggest boat you can manage.

      If it matters, flat bottomed boats, while simple to build, generally weigh
      more than comparable round bottomed boats and generally don’t use quite as
      much material. Flat bottomed boats tend to have more initial stability and
      are easier to run up on a beach.

      My first sailboat (40 some odd years ago) was a Boston Whaler Squall (9 ½ ft
      pram) and I used to car top it! I was a lot younger then (G). I am currently
      building a Scamp (12 ft pram) which I will trailer. There is some symmetry
      there…

      Look around and pick whichever boat design you like. And have fun.

      JohnT

      _____

      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 28 1:41 PM
        Michalac Has a design Called Bookie that is basicly a 14ft Piccup Squared. The plans are in the back of his self published book The Seceret Guide to Plywood Boat Design. Built to specs it should be a little lighter than Mayfly 14.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "m1k3_0ynx" <msingle5@...> wrote:

        > I really appreciate all the comments! It keeps me thinking.
        >
        > I'm going to try very hard to keep away from using a trailer, but I do know they are getting kind of easy to find, if need be. I had decided not to buy one, but when I found an old 12" Craftsman band saw on Craig's List for $40. . . I grabbed it!
        >
        > No doubt in my mind that Mayfly 16 would require a trailer. The 14' version would probably work well for me as far as sailing goes, it's just launching her from a dolly could be a problem on some of the ramps I'd be using.
        >
        > The weight issue aside, I'd say that 16' would be about the longest boat I'd want to transport on my bed extension. The 15'+ pirogue made me a little nervous, I had to make certain to weight down the end in the truck as the bed length wide the tail gate down is only 7 feet. And that's one reason the longer the boat, the better off I'd be with a flat transom instead of a double-ender. The double-ended boat would be do-able, but I'd have to keep the balance thing in mind. (Also, I hate it when driving and the front end of the truck wants to lift!)
        >
        > I would like to stay with "nail & glue," for now. I can get long lumber from the local cypress mill, so no scarfing would be required for the chines.
        >
        > Kind of wish the Piccup Squared was available as a 14' design. Again, I'm thinking of the fact that the sailing scow is a traditional boat for the Gulf Coast of FL. Earlier, I mentioned that the dory was also, I got that wrong. The other traditional FL boat was actually a type of sailing sharpie.
        >
        > As far as the Goose goes, it does look pretty good. But the only plans I saw on the Goose Group seemed to be a mod plan on the Oz web site. You needed the original OZ version of the PDR and the mod plan. No problem with that, but it that the only source for the Goose variant of the PDR?
        >
        > I'm glad I have another build to do first, this sailboat design is going to take a lot more thinking!
        >
        > Mike S.
        > Spring Hill, FL

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 28 2:25 PM
          Another consideration is the Mayfly 12.

          Frank Coletta

          On Jun 27, 2013, at 2:09 PM, "m1k3_0ynx" <msingle5@...> wrote:

          > I really appreciate all the comments! It keeps me thinking.
          >
          > I'm going to try very hard to keep away from using a trailer, but I do know they are getting kind of easy to find, if need be. I had decided not to buy one, but when I found an old 12" Craftsman band saw on Craig's List for $40. . . I grabbed it!
          >
          > No doubt in my mind that Mayfly 16 would require a trailer. The 14' version would probably work well for me as far as sailing goes, it's just launching her from a dolly could be a problem on some of the ramps I'd be using.
          >
          > The weight issue aside, I'd say that 16' would be about the longest boat I'd want to transport on my bed extension. The 15'+ pirogue made me a little nervous, I had to make certain to weight down the end in the truck as the bed length wide the tail gate down is only 7 feet. And that's one reason the longer the boat, the better off I'd be with a flat transom instead of a double-ender. The double-ended boat would be do-able, but I'd have to keep the balance thing in mind. (Also, I hate it when driving and the front end of the truck wants to lift!)
          >
          > I would like to stay with "nail & glue," for now. I can get long lumber from the local cypress mill, so no scarfing would be required for the chines.
          >
          > Kind of wish the Piccup Squared was available as a 14' design. Again, I'm thinking of the fact that the sailing scow is a traditional boat for the Gulf Coast of FL. Earlier, I mentioned that the dory was also, I got that wrong. The other traditional FL boat was actually a type of sailing sharpie.
          >
          > As far as the Goose goes, it does look pretty good. But the only plans I saw on the Goose Group seemed to be a mod plan on the Oz web site. You needed the original OZ version of the PDR and the mod plan. No problem with that, but it that the only source for the Goose variant of the PDR?
          >
          > I'm glad I have another build to do first, this sailboat design is going to take a lot more thinking!
          >
          > Mike S.
          > Spring Hill, FL

        • john colley
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 28 5:39 PM
            As the book explains,There are two options for Heidi's bottom.IF its to be left floating,use cross planking,If to be car topped or left on the hard,then use the plywood.At the end of the book,regarding crossplanked bottom,they advice swamping it for a longwhile to allow the timbers to swell and seal.I'm going to build this,but using marine ply strakes instead of the half inch cedar recommended.Again,the links showed one being totally glued together.I'm going with copper rivets.I've "done ply skin on frame,and stitch and glue.This at 59 will be my heirloom boat,,,LOL and to take to wooden boat fests.

            -Sigurd Olson

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 29 2:04 PM
              Yes, what about the Mayfly 16?

              I notice that relatively little mention in this group is made of the Mayfly
              16. For the taller and heavier (!!!) among us, it seems like a good choice
              for a second build, after something simpler to get used to Jim's materials
              and methods.

              What factors argue against Mayfly 16 for you? More boat than you need? More
              trouble to transport? More cost of materials? Something else entirely?

              Tom

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 29 5:31 PM
                Tom,
                There are photos of a Mayfly 16 in Jim's latest newsletter.

                http://jimsboats.com/ <http://jimsboats.com/>

                There may well be more of them out there and never get the builds
                mentioned in this group. I am only surmising but perhaps the weight
                throws some people off, if older and planning to solo quite often. As I
                mentioned an AF3 is 100 lb lighter and has a cuddy that will match up
                well with a small Bimini. And getting some sun/UV protection is
                considered important these days. The AF3 has proven itself well in
                knockdown recovery if the cuddy is closed up, shipping little water.

                http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/af3/index.htm
                <http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/af3/index.htm>

                It and the AF4 Breve may be attractive for older folks when out fishing
                or just lazing around, compared to a completely open hull for those
                reasons and also the option of taking a porta-potti and have lock-up
                security for it and a cooler.

                http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/af4/breve/index.htm
                <http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/af4/breve/index.htm>

                Rene Vidmer designed a Bimini that doubles as a spray hood when folded
                forward to the cuddy bulkhead, but I don't have the details how that is
                done. But like I said I am just surmising. Many may still prefer an
                open hull.

                Nels

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Tom Barclay wrote:

                > Yes, what about the Mayfly 16?
                >
                > I notice that relatively little mention in this group is made of the
                Mayfly
                > 16. For the taller and heavier (!!!) among us, it seems like a good
                choice
                > for a second build, after something simpler to get used to Jim's
                materials
                > and methods.
                >
                > What factors argue against Mayfly 16 for you? More boat than you need?
                More
                > trouble to transport? More cost of materials? Something else entirely?
                >
                > Tom

              • John Kohnen
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 29 10:54 PM
                  The 350 lb. Jim lists for the Mayfly 16 ain't nothing, especially for such
                  a roomy, comfortable looking boat. Nobody's gonna try to cartop a Mayfly
                  16, and 350 lbs. on a trailer is gonna be awfully easy to handle. The rig
                  for the Mayfly 16 looks easy enough to handle too, without a tall, heavy
                  mast. In fact, Mayfly 16 looks like it'd be a great "geezer boat." <g>

                  350 lbs. is pretty light, but even so, properly setting up the trailer
                  will make getting a Mayfly 16 on and off the trailer easier. I've had a
                  couple of flat-bottom boats that came with trailers the previous owners
                  had set up with lengthwise bunks, matching the curvature of the bottom.
                  That setup works great. Rig up some side bunks, or something similar to
                  help guide the boat onto the trailer and loading and unloading will be a
                  snap. :o) With the longitudinal bunks, side bunks, and an extending
                  tongue, launching and retrieving my 1,500 lb. motorboat is easy as can be.
                  :o)

                  On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 17:31:14 -0700, Nels wrote:

                  > Tom,
                  > There are photos of a Mayfly 16 in Jim's latest newsletter.
                  >
                  > http://jimsboats.com/ <http://jimsboats.com/>
                  >
                  > There may well be more of them out there and never get the builds
                  > mentioned in this group. I am only surmising but perhaps the weight
                  > throws some people off, if older and planning to solo quite often.

                  John (jkohnen@...)
                  Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that he sometimes has
                  to eat them. (Adlai Stevenson)
                • john colley
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 30 4:40 AM
                    we have nothing like messabouts here in ozz .I'm envious of you all

                    -Sigurd Olson

                    ________________________________
                    There are photos of a Mayfly 16 in Jim's latest newsletter.

                    http://jimsboats.com/ <http://jimsboats.com/>

                    There may well be more of them out there and never get the builds
                    mentioned in this group. I am only surmising but perhaps the weight
                    throws some people off, if older and planning to solo quite often. As I
                    mentioned an AF3 is 100 lb lighter and has a cuddy that will match up
                    well with a small Bimini. And getting some sun/UV protection is
                    considered important these days. The AF3 has proven itself well in
                    knockdown recovery if the cuddy is closed up, shipping little water.

                    http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/af3/index.htm
                    <http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/af3/index.htm>

                    It and the AF4 Breve may be attractive for older folks when out fishing
                    or just lazing around, compared to a completely open hull for those
                    reasons and also the option of taking a porta-potti and have lock-up
                    security for it and a cooler.

                    http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/af4/breve/index.htm
                    <http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/af4/breve/index.htm>

                    Rene Vidmer designed a Bimini that doubles as a spray hood when folded
                    forward to the cuddy bulkhead, but I don't have the details how that is
                    done. But like I said I am just surmising. Many may still prefer an
                    open hull.

                    Nels

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Tom Barclay wrote:

                    > Yes, what about the Mayfly 16?
                    >
                    > I notice that relatively little mention in this group is made of the
                    Mayfly
                    > 16. For the taller and heavier (!!!) among us, it seems like a good
                    choice
                    > for a second build, after something simpler to get used to Jim's
                    materials
                    > and methods.
                    >
                    > What factors argue against Mayfly 16 for you? More boat than you need?
                    More
                    > trouble to transport? More cost of materials? Something else entirely?
                    >
                    > Tom

                  • simonfbroad
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 30 8:08 PM
                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

                      > we have nothing like messabouts here in ozz .I'm envious of you all

                      John,

                      That has always bugged me too - hoping to meet a few of you guys somewhere sometime so you can teach me how to sail :o)

                      Doh!
                      Found out this weekend that the Wooden Boat Association of Queensland had a messabout just up the road (Maroochydore) - last weekend!

                      But there is another one at Cabbage Tree Creek in July. Seems they have several in a year.

                      http://www.woodenboat.org.au/index.php/queensland

                      Simon.
                    • john colley
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 1, 2013
                        hmmm i'm going to google wooden boats in victoria.We have plenty of lakes.

                        -Sigurd Olson

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 1, 2013
                          Looks like they are more active in the first half of the year.

                          http://www.woodenboat.asn.au/index.php?option=com_jevents&view=year&task=year.listevents&Itemid=108

                          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

                          > hmmm i'm going to google wooden boats in victoria.We have plenty of lakes.
                          >

                          > "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
                          > -Sigurd Olson

                        • john colley
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 2, 2013
                            beat me to it thanx for that,i bookmarked it.

                            -Sigurd Olson