Re: [Michalak] Hollow Mast for Hapscut?

  • Gene Berry
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 23, 2013
      John, i looked it up. it is December 2011 treasure chest on duckworks.

      Gene Berry

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 24, 2013
        I have never built one but am thinking of building this design for my Mayfly 14 http://www.polysail.com/mast.htm

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John" <goodman_clan@...> wrote:

        > I am going to build a new mast for Hapscut since my current mast is too flexible for my tastes.
        >
        > Has anyone built a hollow box mast? If you have what design did you base it off of?
        >
        > JDG

      • Andres Espino
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 24, 2013
          A Box mast is the easiest hollow mast to construct and good if you plan to have a sail hoist on the trailing edge like a gaffer.  If you plan to use a standing lug or junk sail which part sticks ahead of the mast a few people have complained of chafing.

          A variation os this is a tapered box mast but It requires a bit more wood working skill.

          An Octoganol birdsmouth mast looks best but i have never dared tt build one because the interlocking and loined sides look difficult to me.

          If I wanted a hol;low mast i would build a box mast myself and attack sail track to the training edge of it above a gooseneck mount for a boom.  The boom can also be made the same way as the box mast.

          Andrew

          ________________________________
          > I am going to build a new mast for Hapscut since my current mast is too flexible for my tastes.
          >
          > Has anyone built a hollow box mast? If you have what design did you base it off of?
          >
          > JDG

        • FRANK COLETTA
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
            There is also a hollow mast method that looks like the Chase Bank logo. It looks like it may be fairly easy to build and is six sided.

            Frank

            To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com

            > I am going to build a new mast for Hapscut since my current mast is too flexible for my tastes.
            >
            > Has anyone built a hollow box mast? If you have what design did you base it off of?
            >
            > JDG

          • Steven
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
              Hi,

              Nice design and looks like it would be very easy to build. You should be able to eliminate the chaffing by putting a small 1/4 round on the edges. I would have never thought of using ply for a hollow mast because I wouldn't have thought it had enough strength.

              Steven

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "shooter1941" <cbuxton41@...> wrote:

              > I have never built one but am thinking of building this design for my Mayfly 14 http://www.polysail.com/mast.htm
              >
              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John" <goodman_clan@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I am going to build a new mast for Hapscut since my current mast is too flexible for my tastes.
              > >
              > > Has anyone built a hollow box mast? If you have what design did you base it off of?
              > >
              > > JDG

            • simonfbroad
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
                The 'Chase Bank Logo' style is mentioned at the bottom of that link on PolySails, but it appears very difficult to find much else about it, or anyone who has built one.
                I particularly like the look of this style, for mast and spars, pretty much as simple as a square box mast, but with a little more shape to it, though I'd think twice about tapering it.
                I am considering this for when I build my Mayfly 16.

                I am also wondering about the traditional method of making hollow masts, as demonstrated by Ross Lillistone on his web site.

                http://rosslillistonewoodenboat.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/hollow-masts-built-using-traditional.html

                Simon.

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, FRANK COLETTA <coletta_j@...> wrote:

                > There is also a hollow mast method that looks like the Chase Bank logo. It looks like it may be fairly easy to build and is six sided.
                >

                > Frank

              • Tom Clarke
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
                  Simon, I built the mast for my Lillistone’s “Flint” in the “chase” style...
                  Here are the steps I used:

                  1. Rip out the four sides of the mast... rip size is the max width of the
                  mast minus the thickness of your stock

                  2. Measure the ‘hollow’ and rip a piece of stock that fits the
                  hollow...it will be square... I cut two pieces of the ‘filler’ such that
                  one extended from the foot of the mast to about 6 inches above the partner
                  and a second piece of filler that extended from the mast head down about two
                  feet (using a lug sail). Note that I tapered the inside end of these two
                  filler pieces so that there was no ‘hard’ spot in the mast.

                  3. Get a bunch (one every 6 inches) of zip ties ready.

                  4. Epoxy both faces where the four sides meet, add the ‘filler’ as needed
                  and now zip tie it all up tight... make sure you swap two faces end for end
                  so that the grain of the wood (I assume you will rip your stock out of a
                  single plank) opposes each side... this keeps the mast straight. I did this
                  right on the mast, but on the yard, I forgot and after the epoxy on the yard
                  dried, I found a half-inch bend in the yard which I had to cut out by
                  finagling the tapering process described below.

                  5. After epoxy dries, then taper the mast... here’s how I did it:

                  a. Let’s assume you want to taper each of the 4 sides a half inch (note
                  that you have NOT yet cut off the corners to get the 8 sides).

                  b. Rip off a piece of ¼ inch ply wood roughly 6 inches wide and 1/3 to ½
                  the length of the mast... I did about 1/3 (the length of the mast) taper on
                  mine, but made plywood plank ½ the mast length so that I could clamp it to
                  the mast in the next step.

                  c. Now temporarily clamp the plywood to the (upper side of the) mast so
                  that one edge of the plywood plank, at the top of the mast, is ½ inch inside
                  the side of the mast you will taper...

                  d. Clamp the other end of the plank so that it intersects the edge of the
                  mast about “1/3” from the top of the mast. Mark this line all around the
                  mast so that the taper will end at the same spot on each side. I put two
                  clamps at this end, and then removed the temp clamp at the top so that it
                  would go through the table saw... note that rather than using clamps, you
                  could use screws or nails, but then you have to fill in the holes after... I
                  used clamps.

                  e. Set the fence on the table saw to the width of the plywood plank

                  f. Using the ‘other side’ of the plywood against the fence, cut off the
                  triangular piece of the mast that is a half-inch wide, tapering to zero, and
                  about “1/3” the length of the mast.

                  g. Repeat for the other three sides of the mast

                  6. Now, cut off the four corners of the mast... I started about six
                  inches above the mast partners and went to the top of the mast... used a
                  draw knife, then hand plane, then sand paper.

                  Hope this all makes sense...

                  Tom

                  ==================

                  ====================
                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> , FRANK
                  COLETTA <coletta_j@...> wrote:

                  > There is also a hollow mast method that looks like the Chase Bank logo. It
                  looks like it may be fairly easy to build and is six sided.

                  Tom Clarke

                • shooter1941
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 26, 2013
                    Another option I am contemplating is a round hollow mast. This article by Dave Lucas on Duckworks Treasure Chest 2011 http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/11/chest/dec/index.htm demonstrates a simple way to form a hollow mast using a router with, I assume, a round nose bit.
                    I think You could use the same process for square hollow mast using a Dish Carving Router Bit

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John" <goodman_clan@...> wrote:

                    > I am going to build a new mast for Hapscut since my current mast is too flexible for my tastes.
                    >
                    > Has anyone built a hollow box mast? If you have what design did you base it off of?
                    >
                    > JDG

                  • simonfbroad
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 27, 2013
                      Tom

                      Thanks for that, yeah it makes sense (after a couple of readings).
                      Essentially you built is as a box mast and tapered and eight-sided it afterwards. That sounds a lot simpler than trying to cut four sides of a mast each with the bevel and tapered in two dimensions.

                      The only question I would have would be whether that makes the walls of the mast too thin at the top?
                      I guess that depends on the size of lumber you start with and the length of the mast.

                      Simon.

                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Tom Clarke <tlclarke@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > anyone who has built one.
                      > I particularly like the look of this style, for mast and spars, pretty much
                      > as simple as a square box mast, but with a little more shape to it, though
                      > I'd think twice about tapering it.
                      > I am considering this for when I build my Mayfly 16.
                      >
                      > I am also wondering about the traditional method of making hollow masts, as
                      > demonstrated by Ross Lillistone on his web site.
                      >
                      > http://rosslillistonewoodenboat.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/hollow-masts-built-u
                      > sing-traditional.html
                      >
                      > Simon.
                      > ====================
                      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> , FRANK
                      > COLETTA <coletta_j@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > There is also a hollow mast method that looks like the Chase Bank logo. It
                      > looks like it may be fairly easy to build and is six sided.

                    • Tom Clarke
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 28, 2013
                        Simon... Not quite... did the tapering BEFORE making the "Chase" style box
                        mast. Then did the '8' sided cutting of the four corners.

                        No, the mast is not too thin at the top... remember that the tapering is
                        taken ONLY from the WIDTH of the stock, not the thickness... besides, the
                        strongest part of the mast must be at the partners.

                        Note that you can then take it the next step and make it a round mast...
                        just take down the 8 corners to make it 16 sided and then round off.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 4, 2013
                          Another question.

                          Not sure what size the Hapscut mast should be, but my Mayfly plans show a solid mast, 3" x 3" at the base, tapered to 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" at the top (14ft long)

                          Just wondered, how do you decide the the dimensions and timber thickness for a hollow mast?

                          Simon.