Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Steve's Mayfly 14 Build

Expand Messages
  • scast101
    Hadn t thought of that - maybe I ll fill the plywood voids, paint em up and then resurface if needed after testing - sounds like a winter project . . . Thx,
    Message 1 of 97 , Jun 16, 2013
      Hadn't thought of that - maybe I'll fill the plywood voids, paint 'em up and then resurface if needed after testing - sounds like a winter project . . . Thx, Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <nelsarv@...> wrote:
      >
      > The blades look fine to me as well. I think to fill voids Jim uses
      > Bondo? Or something like it.
      >
      > The only other thing is you might consider test-running the leeboard a
      > few times before applying the final finish coating to make sure it
      > doesn't vibrate. Because if it does you can fair off the aft section a
      > bit more to cure that. And don't fair to a sharp edge. You want about
      > 1/4" flat spot out at the back edge.
      >
      > Nels
      >
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, daniel brown wrote:
      > >
      > > i think the slightly wavy surface wont matter much except in theory.
      > dont know if you want to go to the trouble but you could put a layer of
      > 6 oz fg cloth/epoxy on the blades to seal the hard/soft wood and make
      > maintenance easier over time.
      > >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
    • a5eptfyqmknybj3jibe7uwk5g55zy4zjkp7nlte7
      Hi Steve, Its been a few months since I cut out my side panels but I had some issues (maybe similar) as well. Turns out that I missed a note on the plans
      Message 97 of 97 , Oct 13
        Hi Steve,

        Its been a few months since I cut out my side panels but I had some issues (maybe similar) as well.  Turns out that I missed a note on the plans about the placement of the line that meets the transom.  Something like most stations were 24" apart except that transom station that was shorter, perhaps 20".  Unfortunately don't have the plans in front of me so I can't tell you exactly.

        Of course this might be unrelated to your situation.  I did not find my mistake until I began measuring to see if I had enough space to draw out the aft bulkhead and transom as shown on the plywood cut out diagram. Luckily I didn't cut out the side panels yet so I was able to correct.  I learned a lesson from this.

        Best of luck.
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.