Re: Deck Edges

  • shooter1941
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 16, 2013
      Steve,
      I too am building Mayfly 14. I have been reading your blog.
      I have the plans and the book. The plans appear to show the front deck width extending to the outer edge of the inner wale not across both wales. I have just finished installing the wales. Had I been astute enough to be aware of this I would have trimmed the foredeck to size before installing the outer wales. Ces la vie.
      Other than aesthetics I am not sure it would make any difference if the deck was trimmed to and installed across both wales.
      Just FYI JM suggests attaching the decks with sealant (not glue) and screws or nails so they would be removable if necessary.
      Cheers,
      Colin

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "scast101" <scast101@...> wrote:

      > I've rough cut an oversize foredeck for my Mayfly 14. Looking at the plans in Jim's book, I'm not sure where to trim the edges to. The outer surface of the outer wale? The point where the two wales meet? Somewhere else? If it matters, this is a Mayfly 14. . . .
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Steve C

    • scast101
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 16, 2013
        That sounds like a great way to go, but I'm building from the book, not the plans and it wasn't discussed. Presently developing a Plan B - both wales were installed to the same height.

        Steve

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Anders Bjorklund <andersbjorklund5@...> wrote:

        > I like the Mayfly 14 a lot. I'm pretty sure Jim covers it in the materials
        > that came with the plans. But I think he recommends fitting the decks after
        > the first outwale lamination is on, trimming them flush with that outside
        > edge, and then adding the second outwale lamination after that. That sounds
        > to me like a good way to do it. Happy building!
        >
        > Anders
        >

        > On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM, scast101 <scast101@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I've rough cut an oversize foredeck for my Mayfly 14. Looking at the plans
        > > in Jim's book, I'm not sure where to trim the edges to. The outer surface
        > > of the outer wale? The point where the two wales meet? Somewhere else? If
        > > it matters, this is a Mayfly 14. . . .
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > >
        > > Steve C

      • scast101
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 16, 2013
          Colin:

          Thx for looking over the blog, I added a bit to the cost and time logs tonite, blogging the project seems to take a fair bit of time. Hope your build is going well.

          Yes, I thought maybe the plans were showing to the outer edge of the inner wale, but the plans in the book are a small scale and I was not sure I was interpreting correctly. At this point, it looks like I'll install the the outer edge of the outer wale like you said, and then round over like Mark said . . .

          I now see the wisdom of building the model first . . .

          Thx.

          Steve

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "shooter1941" <cbuxton41@...> wrote:

          > Steve,
          > I too am building Mayfly 14. I have been reading your blog.
          > I have the plans and the book. The plans appear to show the front deck width extending to the outer edge of the inner wale not across both wales. I have just finished installing the wales. Had I been astute enough to be aware of this I would have trimmed the foredeck to size before installing the outer wales. Ces la vie.
          > Other than aesthetics I am not sure it would make any difference if the deck was trimmed to and installed across both wales.
          > Just FYI JM suggests attaching the decks with sealant (not glue) and screws or nails so they would be removable if necessary.
          > Cheers,
          > Colin
          >
          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "scast101" <scast101@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've rough cut an oversize foredeck for my Mayfly 14. Looking at the plans in Jim's book, I'm not sure where to trim the edges to. The outer surface of the outer wale? The point where the two wales meet? Somewhere else? If it matters, this is a Mayfly 14. . . .
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Steve C

        • Anders Bjorklund
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 16, 2013
            Oh c'mon, buy the plans. Help support guys like Jim, and do yourself a
            favor at the same time. When you're done building the boat they'll look
            great tacked up on your wall.

            Anders

            On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM, scast101 <scast101@...> wrote:

            > That sounds like a great way to go, but I'm building from the book, not
            > the plans and it wasn't discussed.

          • alan enlow
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
              Steve,
                If you trim to the inner gunnel and cut the outer gunnel thicker it can cover the end grain of the plywood. For what is worth.

              Alan