RE: [Michalak] Translation Please

  • daniel brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
      here i am speculating: the quarter chord of a 12" wide centerboard (assuming a vertical board) would be 3" , so dont put the ce forward of 3"

      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: nelsarv@...
      Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:47:03 +0000
      Subject: [Michalak] Translation Please

      I was reading Bolger's essay on the Sprit Rig and the final sentence
      reads:

      "It's usually wise to use no lead on the center of the sail area ahead
      of the quarter-chord of the lateral plane, at least if the lateral plane
      is a well-defined fin like a centerboard or leeboard."

      I think I know what lead means but have no idea what "the quarter-chord
      of the lateral plane" means.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
        Thanks Dan and Sam!
        Somehow I expected it to be far more complicated that that:-) Why can't
        those navel architects say what they mean in plain English? (Just
        kidding Sam)

        Bolger does seem to also suggest that a boomless sail has more of a
        tendency towards weather helm than one with a boom and a sprit sail is
        generally boomless, so perhaps why the CE or mast should be a bit
        further aft. His essays on the sprit rig are important reading in my
        opinion as that rig attracts a lot of interest for a small hull designed
        for paddling or rowing.

        Nels

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, daniel brown wrote:

        > here i am speculating: the quarter chord of a 12" wide centerboard
        (assuming a vertical board) would be 3" , so dont put the ce forward of
        3"
        > behind the leading edge of said board. or suffer lee helm. just
        speculating : )

        > To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
        > From: nelsarv@...
        > Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:47:03 +0000
        > Subject: [Michalak] Translation Please

      • daniel brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
          thank YOU nels, you have been a great source of info on many subjects over the past many months

          To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
          From: nelsarv@...
          Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 15:27:03 +0000
          Subject: [Michalak] Re: Translation Please