Re: [Michalak] Translation Please

  • Samantha Roberts
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
      Nels,

      Chord on an airfoil section is the leading-edge-to-trailing-edge distance.  The quarter-chord line on an airfoil surface is a line along the span that is 25% of the chord aft of the leading edge.  So on an untapered leeboard that is 12" wide the quarter chord line would be 3" aft of the leading edge and parallel to both the LE and the TE.  The quarter-chord line corresponds to the theoretical center of lift.

      Bolger is saying that on a boat with a very shallow hull (such as a canoe or sharpie) where the bulk of the effective lateral plane is in a well-defined foil such as a leeboard, one can disregard the hull and consider just the leeboard for determining leeboard location vs the rig.  This is very close to Michalak's practice of (if I recall correctly) lining up the LE of the leeboard with the center of area of the rig.

      -- Sam

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
        here i am speculating: the quarter chord of a 12" wide centerboard (assuming a vertical board) would be 3" , so dont put the ce forward of 3"

        To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
          Thanks Dan and Sam!
          Somehow I expected it to be far more complicated that that:-) Why can't
          those navel architects say what they mean in plain English? (Just
          kidding Sam)

          Bolger does seem to also suggest that a boomless sail has more of a
          tendency towards weather helm than one with a boom and a sprit sail is
          generally boomless, so perhaps why the CE or mast should be a bit
          further aft. His essays on the sprit rig are important reading in my
          opinion as that rig attracts a lot of interest for a small hull designed
          for paddling or rowing.

          Nels

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, daniel brown wrote:

          > here i am speculating: the quarter chord of a 12" wide centerboard
          (assuming a vertical board) would be 3" , so dont put the ce forward of
          3"
          > behind the leading edge of said board. or suffer lee helm. just
          speculating : )

          > To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
          > From: nelsarv@...
          > Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:47:03 +0000
          > Subject: [Michalak] Translation Please

        • daniel brown
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
            thank YOU nels, you have been a great source of info on many subjects over the past many months

            To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
            From: nelsarv@...
            Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 15:27:03 +0000
            Subject: [Michalak] Re: Translation Please