RE: [Michalak] Re: Steve's Mayfly 14 Build

  • daniel brown
    Message 1 of 95 , Jun 16, 2013
      i think the slightly wavy surface wont matter much except in theory. dont know if you want to go to the trouble but you could put a layer of 6 oz fg cloth/epoxy on the blades to seal the hard/soft wood and make maintenance easier over time.

      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: scast101@...
      Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 17:50:08 +0000
      Subject: [Michalak] Re: Steve's Mayfly 14 Build

      As for the sloppy spelling . . . meant to say that these are FROM cheap ACX, that the planing took away the SOFT wood, and I'm wondering how MUCH it matters . . . . :)

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "scast101" <scast101@...> wrote:

      > Thx for the insight. These are made for cheap ACX. I'll need to fill some voids before painting. One thing I noticed is the thaT planing/sand took away sof wood rwteen the harder ridges on the plywood surface. I'm hoping not to have to fill and fair the entire blade surfaces. How mush will it matter.
      >
      > Thx in advance!
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, daniel brown <dannyb9@> wrote:
      > >
      > > steve those blades look quite well shaped for a sailing skiff, way more shape than traditional boats. 'back in the day' i raced sunfish and their blades were much more simply shaped. flat surfaces with taper confined to about 1 1/2" from the edges. when the 'naca foil shaped' composite blades came out, we all got them, but the difference in performance was minimal, usually not noticeable. a smooth surface was considered more important. i'd just smooth with 80 grit, (maybe 120 after that if youre obsessive) and paint em. 2-3 coats and sand lightly between coats. then you can wet sand with fine grit auto body paper if you want to be obsessive.
      > >

      > > To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: scast101@
      > > Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 13:40:22 +0000
      > > Subject: [Michalak] Steve's Mayfly 14 Build
      > >

      > > All work and no play has left little time for boat building, but I did manage to get rudder and leeboard blades roughed out. Here they are sanded to 60 grit. I'm wondering if these look like they are sufficiently faired or if more meat needs to come off?
      > >
      > > http://stevebuildsaboat.wordpress.com/2013/06/15/blades-roughed-out/
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > Steve

    • scast101
      Message 95 of 95 , Jul 31, 2014
        I've posted a couple of post-launch photos and short video clip of relaxed sailing. I've had it out 4 times and am please with the Mayfly's preformance.

        Thanks for looking.

        Steve

         A Few Images