Re: [Michalak] Deck Edges

  • Anders Bjorklund
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 15, 2013
      I like the Mayfly 14 a lot. I'm pretty sure Jim covers it in the materials
      that came with the plans. But I think he recommends fitting the decks after
      the first outwale lamination is on, trimming them flush with that outside
      edge, and then adding the second outwale lamination after that. That sounds
      to me like a good way to do it. Happy building!

      Anders

      On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM, scast101 <scast101@...> wrote:

      > I've rough cut an oversize foredeck for my Mayfly 14. Looking at the plans
      > in Jim's book, I'm not sure where to trim the edges to. The outer surface
      > of the outer wale? The point where the two wales meet? Somewhere else? If
      > it matters, this is a Mayfly 14. . . .
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Steve C

    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 15, 2013
        And then rounding off the deck edge looks nice and makes it less
        vulnerable.

      • shooter1941
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 16, 2013
          Steve,
          I too am building Mayfly 14. I have been reading your blog.
          I have the plans and the book. The plans appear to show the front deck width extending to the outer edge of the inner wale not across both wales. I have just finished installing the wales. Had I been astute enough to be aware of this I would have trimmed the foredeck to size before installing the outer wales. Ces la vie.
          Other than aesthetics I am not sure it would make any difference if the deck was trimmed to and installed across both wales.
          Just FYI JM suggests attaching the decks with sealant (not glue) and screws or nails so they would be removable if necessary.
          Cheers,
          Colin

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "scast101" <scast101@...> wrote:

          > I've rough cut an oversize foredeck for my Mayfly 14. Looking at the plans in Jim's book, I'm not sure where to trim the edges to. The outer surface of the outer wale? The point where the two wales meet? Somewhere else? If it matters, this is a Mayfly 14. . . .
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Steve C

        • scast101
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 16, 2013
            That sounds like a great way to go, but I'm building from the book, not the plans and it wasn't discussed. Presently developing a Plan B - both wales were installed to the same height.

            Steve

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Anders Bjorklund <andersbjorklund5@...> wrote:

            > I like the Mayfly 14 a lot. I'm pretty sure Jim covers it in the materials
            > that came with the plans. But I think he recommends fitting the decks after
            > the first outwale lamination is on, trimming them flush with that outside
            > edge, and then adding the second outwale lamination after that. That sounds
            > to me like a good way to do it. Happy building!
            >
            > Anders
            >

            > On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM, scast101 <scast101@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I've rough cut an oversize foredeck for my Mayfly 14. Looking at the plans
            > > in Jim's book, I'm not sure where to trim the edges to. The outer surface
            > > of the outer wale? The point where the two wales meet? Somewhere else? If
            > > it matters, this is a Mayfly 14. . . .
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > Steve C

          • scast101
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 16, 2013
              Colin:

              Thx for looking over the blog, I added a bit to the cost and time logs tonite, blogging the project seems to take a fair bit of time. Hope your build is going well.

              Yes, I thought maybe the plans were showing to the outer edge of the inner wale, but the plans in the book are a small scale and I was not sure I was interpreting correctly. At this point, it looks like I'll install the the outer edge of the outer wale like you said, and then round over like Mark said . . .

              I now see the wisdom of building the model first . . .

              Thx.

              Steve

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "shooter1941" <cbuxton41@...> wrote:

              > Steve,
              > I too am building Mayfly 14. I have been reading your blog.
              > I have the plans and the book. The plans appear to show the front deck width extending to the outer edge of the inner wale not across both wales. I have just finished installing the wales. Had I been astute enough to be aware of this I would have trimmed the foredeck to size before installing the outer wales. Ces la vie.
              > Other than aesthetics I am not sure it would make any difference if the deck was trimmed to and installed across both wales.
              > Just FYI JM suggests attaching the decks with sealant (not glue) and screws or nails so they would be removable if necessary.
              > Cheers,
              > Colin
              >
              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "scast101" <scast101@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've rough cut an oversize foredeck for my Mayfly 14. Looking at the plans in Jim's book, I'm not sure where to trim the edges to. The outer surface of the outer wale? The point where the two wales meet? Somewhere else? If it matters, this is a Mayfly 14. . . .
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > >
              > > Steve C

            • Anders Bjorklund
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 16, 2013
                Oh c'mon, buy the plans. Help support guys like Jim, and do yourself a
                favor at the same time. When you're done building the boat they'll look
                great tacked up on your wall.

                Anders

                On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM, scast101 <scast101@...> wrote:

                > That sounds like a great way to go, but I'm building from the book, not
                > the plans and it wasn't discussed.

              • alan enlow
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
                  Steve,
                    If you trim to the inner gunnel and cut the outer gunnel thicker it can cover the end grain of the plywood. For what is worth.

                  Alan